Ftp login fails with special character §

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tosal

Ftp login fails with special character §

Post by *tosal »

Hi,
I noticed the following strange problem: Trying to login to a server of 1&1 in germany always failed with "login incorrect". After some try and error I found out that the password contained the character '§' which seems to be wrongly encoded by TC. After setting a new password without that char everything worked properly. 1&1 uses Linux servers. I also tested with FileZilla and this one seems to accept the character without problems. (I prefer TC as it gives my my normal UI, however). Here's an excerpt of the log of Filezilla - it might help (I replaced username with ***):

Antwort: 220 FTP Server ready.
Befehl: USER ************
Antwort: 331 Password required for **********
Befehl: PASS ************
Antwort: 230 User ********* logged in
Befehl: SYST
Antwort: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Befehl: FEAT
Antwort: 211-Features:
Antwort: MDTM
Antwort: MFMT
Antwort: TVFS
Antwort: UTF8
Antwort: MFF modify;UNIX.group;UNIX.mode;
Antwort: MLST modify*;perm*;size*;type*;unique*;UNIX.group*;UNIX.mode*;UNIX.owner*;
Antwort: LANG zh-CN;zh-TW;bg-BG;en-US*;fr-FR;it-IT;ko-KR;ru-RU;ja-JP
Antwort: REST STREAM
Antwort: SIZE
Antwort: 211 End
Befehl: OPTS UTF8 ON
Antwort: 200 UTF8 set to on
Befehl: PWD

Regards,
Thomas
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

"§" is extended character (ascii code > 127) which is encoded differently when using UTF-8 and when not. Server expects one and TC is sending the other. Which one, you would have to try. You can influence it in connection properties on Advanced tab. If you have default Auto-Detect in Encoding of file names, try to select ANSI and UTF-8 and with one of them it will most likely work.
But there could be problem if server needed ANSI for password, but you'd require UTF-8 for file names later. But it seems more likely to me that you have forced UTF-8 already and in that case, changing it to auto-detection might solve it.