Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should F2 become the default for renaming?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should F2 become the default for renaming?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 331 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 135 ]
I don't care
12%
 12%  [ 64 ]
Total Votes : 530

KC_

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After several months of using TC, I finally need to unlearn doing a Shift+F6 on Excel Laughing

Please sign up to Dropbox using this link https://db.tt/IFywss4M

So we both get extra/bonus space. Thanks!
jphendriks

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shift-F6 should become the default in Explorer instead.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it amusing for how long can such discussion last. It's nearly 10 years already. Smile
Vankog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, after 10 years F2 would be great.
It is so much faster and easier to reach than hitting Shift+F6.

I use F2 everywhere...
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this old thread is dusted-off again,
here again a how-to to enable the F2 key to start renaming:

Edit your wincmd.ini and add this under [Shortcuts]

F2=cm_RenameOnly ;Enable 'F2'-key to start inline-rename mode, additional to origin 'Shift+F6'

Extended Menus - SynWrite Text Editor - TC für Anfänger (YT)
j7n

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Among the first things I change in a new install of TC, when copying over the old configuration is inconvienent, is to set the keyboard to "Windows"-style. F2 for renaming. F3 for search. F5 for refresh. Then also Ins for make directory (from Power Desk Explorer), Windows surprisingly doesn't have an analogue for this very common action, at least in NT5.

So, could there perhaps be two or three key presets as a listbox or set of radio buttons in Configuration/Misc: "Windows keyboard", "DOS keyboard" and "Manager X style keyboard", to quickly set the style with one command without redefining each key separately?

The missing functions in "Windows" could be brought from Windows-native file managers or typical classic Windows software.

P.S. I have used DOS software, but relied on mouse.com and dynamic Function status toolbars to suggest the unintuitive keys.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.50
bramreem

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Implement only for new users? Reply with quote

Although I am now used to Shift-F6, I think F2 would be a good choice for renaming. If I recall correctly, F2 was already in use for renaming or editing in some DOS programs.

Personally, I seldomly use Refresh, since TotalCommander refreshes automatically when the program is activated or the file system changes. Perhaps, the people who use Refresh often, have unchecked some of the Auto-Refresh options?

It seems, the discussion has become much broader than originally intended. Proposals about a larger overhaul of the hotkey settings would better have their own thread, IMHO.

Wondering why this change was not yet implemented, 10 years after the start of the poll, I found the following by Christian, posted Mon 27 Mar 2006 on 5:33 pm: "I'm still worried that I will get a lot of e-mails when i change this. I did already for changing Ctrl+T from Multi-Rename-Tool to creation of a new TAB, and I fear that the F2 change would cause even more problems..."

A solution for this fear would be to have the change only for new users, not for people upgrading to a newer version. Maybe the upgrade installation program could read the INI file, see if the user has changed the setting for Shift-F2, and if not, ask the user if s/he is OK with the change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: