Command for Alt+F3 external viewer?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

quantum

Command for Alt+F3 external viewer?

Post by *quantum »

I'd like to create a different keyboard shortcut for the external viewer, Alt+F3, since I find Alt+F3 hard to use as a touch typist, but I can't find the command anywhere. Is there a way to do this? Note that I don't want to use F3 (or Shift+F3) to use the external viewer, I want to assign my own keystroke, like Ctrl+E.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can remap any combination of Alt+key to the command cm_List - but you have to use the Alt modifier.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
quantum

Post by *quantum »

petermad wrote:You can remap any combination of Alt+key to the command cm_List - but you have to use the Alt modifier.
I don't get your point. cm_List is the internal viewer, not the external viewer. And I can remap cm_List to any of the keys support by TC regardless of modifier.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If you for example remap Alt+Z to cm_list, then pressing Alt+Z will open the external viewer.

See: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/externalviewer.png

This is of course only provided that you have configured Alt+F3 for external viewer: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/externalviewer2.png

But don't take my word for it - try it.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
quantum

Post by *quantum »

petermad wrote:If you for example remap Alt+Z to cm_list, then pressing Alt+Z will open the external viewer.

See: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/externalviewer.png

This is of course only provided that you have configured Alt+F3 for external viewer: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/externalviewer2.png

But don't take my word for it - try it.
Ok, that does work, thanks. I never would have figured that out. Seems odd and almost seems like a bug, but I'll take it. :)
oshizelly

Post by *oshizelly »

2petermad
You can remap any combination of Alt+key to the command cm_List - but you have to use the Alt modifier.
It's a very interesting trick, thanks a lot from me too!

Could you please clarify, is it mandatory to use <Alt> key as the single modifier, as it is in you example Alt+Z, or I could combine it with other modifiers as well, say, <Alt>+<Ctrl>+Z?
quantum

Post by *quantum »

oshizelly wrote:Could you please clarify, is it mandatory to use <Alt> key as the single modifier, as it is in you example Alt+Z, or I could combine it with other modifiers as well, say, <Alt>+<Ctrl>+Z?
I would have preferred Ctrl, as I find that easier to reach, or even better, add a cm_listexternal command so I could map it to what I want. But I can live with it for now, and I also have Autohotkey to fall back on.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

oshizelly, when cm_List is executed, TC checks for Alt because Alt changes view mode (it can be configured on Edit/View configuration page - and depending on that option shortcut with Alt may launch different viewers). Same trick works for e.g. Ctrl modifier in case of cm_PackFiles command where Ctrl means packing to same panel.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Could you please clarify, is it mandatory to use <Alt> key as the single modifier, as it is in you example Alt+Z, or I could combine it with other modifiers as well, say, <Alt>+<Ctrl>+Z?
Yes, you can use for example Ctrl+Alt+Z.
License #524 (1994)
Kyles

Post by *Kyles »

quantum wrote: I would have preferred Ctrl, as I find that easier to reach, or even better, add a cm_listexternal command so I could map it to what I want. But I can live with it for now, and I also have Autohotkey to fall back on.
1. Configuration - Misc.
2. Hotkey: Select Control + E
3. Command: Click on the magnifying glass button
4. Category: Select usercmd.ini
5. Press New... button
6. New command name(em_xyz): em_listexternal
7. Command: Specify the external viewer, for example:
%COMMANDER_PATH%\addons\iview\i_view32.exe
8. Parameters: %N
9. OK, OK, OK
10. Try to use Ctrl+E