Easy Transfer Cable for Vista working on Win7(64)?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Artist

Post by *Artist »

2ghisler
I see. But Why would TC find so many errors in the first place and always and only with some filetypes and not with all of them? It seems to me that only the cable can be at the origin of the problem as described above. And not because of a hardware malfunction.

By the way, does TC support operations and sync using a connection with a crossover LAN cable? I saw some reference to LAN cables on these forums but only in German (which I'll absolutley learn in my next life, but for the moment...)
est modus in rebus
(License #: 3886)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it's not the file type, but the file size? The larger a file, the more errors could occur.
By the way, does TC support operations and sync using a connection with a crossover LAN cable?
You can use normal Windows shared folder functions for this. Just make sure the 2 PCs have different names, but the same group. Then you can right click on a folder and share it via "properties", and access it from the other PC via UNC path:
\\pcname\sharedfolder
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Artist

Post by *Artist »

2ghisler

Thanks for the information about the connection with a crossover LAN cable. As I understand it, the sync operation through the TC interface is not possible in this case.

As for the filesizes being the reason of the CRC-errors and consequent transfer failures, I quote from my previous posts:

"Some filetypes, always the same no matter the size, always get trough without CRC-errors, while some others, always the same no matter the size, just refuse to transfer."

"8 attempts necessary to copy the file tcm851ax64, size: 4.626.886"

If you get transfer failures with this kind of size, it should pretty much mean that the filesize is not the issue.
est modus in rebus
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for the information about the connection with a crossover LAN cable. As I understand it, the sync operation through the TC interface is not possible in this case.
Why not? It's a normal sync between two normal directories, so it will of course work (if you grant write address to the share, of course).
Some filetypes, always the same no matter the size, always get trough without CRC-errors, while some others, always the same no matter the size, just refuse to transfer.
It really sounds like a problem with a virus scanner, there is no other reason why the file extension should have any influence.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Artist

Post by *Artist »

2ghisler

Thanks for the clarification about the Sync. I never got into the "home net" kind of thing and I am totally "green" on the matter of LAN and net procedures.
I'm just glad that my broadband comes out of a socket in the wall.:D

Regarding the virus scanner, as I wrote earlier, during the many, many cross tests (over 20) both antivirus and firewall were shut down on both sides, on all 3 machines. I don't think that explanation is viable in this particular case.
est modus in rebus
Artist

Post by *Artist »

Well, just a little update on transferring files with Easy Transfer Cables...

2HolgerK
Thanks for pointing me to the Logilink Easy Transfer Cable (UA0030).
I could in the end get hold of a used one on the web, and I have been happily transferring files of all types and sizes ever since with no problems at all. :D

The transfers are done on the same machines and with the same configurations as those reported above for my tests of the Belkin cable, and without even bothering to disable antivirus and firewall on either side.

Keeping in mind the consistent (mis)behaviour shown by the Belkin, this should prove conclusively that the transfer failures due to CRC problems were originated entirely by the cable's refusal/inability to cope with some filetypes in one parfticular direction, as strange as that may seem.

Hope this thread will help other TC users.
est modus in rebus