Hide unused drives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

tcebob

Hide unused drives

Post by *tcebob »

Windows 7 explorer has a setting to ignore unused drive letters. This is its single useful feature. Is there a way to do that in TC? Presently I can't use the show drive buttons without displaying every drive letter from C: to O:

tcebob
raeubi
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *raeubi »

INI Setting: HideRemovableNoMedia in [Configuration] Section:

Code: Select all

HideRemovableNoMedia=0 
When !=0, removable drives like USB card readers will not be shown unless a medium is inserted. Note that CD-ROM drives and floppy disk drives will always be shown. Apply to:
1: Drive button bar
2: Drive dropdown list
4: Search function - Drives
7: All
Räubi
(#2852 + #287609)
tcebob

Post by *tcebob »

Thanks, Räubi . I inserted the line "HideRemovableNoMedia=0" in wincmd.ini and restarted TC. There was no change, so I tried HideRemovableNoMedia=7. Still no change.

However, drive O is a flash drive which is usually plugged in to a USB port. When I removed it drive O disappeared from the list. So it seems the setting works but there is something about Windows 7 that makes it think the other (J, K, L, M, N) drives are real.

tcebob
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Maybe you need to set DriveBarHide
Allows to hide certain parts of the drive button bar:
A-Z= Drives.
0-9= FTP.
\= Network Neighborhood.
.= Parent and root dir (has effect if DriveCombo=0).
-= Volume label and free/total space (has effect if DriveCombo=0).
tcebob

Post by *tcebob »

I added DriveBarHide=j,k to wincmd.ini and restarted TC. No change. The extra drives are USB ports I think. Oh, well, I give up.

tcebob
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, tcebob.

4 potential reasons why the setting HideRemovableNoMedia does not have any effect in your Total Commander:
  • HideRemovableNoMedia was added in Total Commander 7.56. - In case you are using an older T.C. the parameter will simply be ignored.
  • You put the parameter HideRemovableNoMedia in the wrong section of the wincmd.ini file. It has to be in the [Configuration] section.
  • You put the parameter HideRemovableNoMedia in the wrong wincmd.ini file. - There might be more than a single wincmd.ini on your machine. And you edited the wrong one, i.e. the one that you do not use. - Check which one T.C. uses under Help => About. - Make sure to edit the right one, by editing from the menu: Menu => Configuration => Change Settings Files Directly
  • The parameter HideRemovableNoMedia has been added to the correct wincmd.ini file. It has been put in the right section [Configuration]. But it exists in this section twice. From top to bottom the first HideRemovableNoMedia entry reads HideRemovableNoMedia=0. The second occurence of HideRemovableNoMedia will be ignored. - Make sure the parameter HideRemovableNoMedia appears exactly once and is not 0.
Wincmd.ini holds HideRemovableNoMedia=3 here. And the parameter has got the desired effect. The drive letters E:, K: and L: will only be displayed in case a USB pendrive or a USB harddisk has been attached to the corresponding USB port.
The cardreader drives F:, G:, H: will only be displayed in case a flash card has been inserted.
The DVD drives I: and J: will be displayed all the time, medium inserted or not. (this is by design, see T.C. help file)
(Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64, Total Commander 8.51a 64-bit+32-bit)

HTH,
Karl