-visualization of tab headers depends on Windows Theme

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Izibia

-visualization of tab headers depends on Windows Theme

Post by *Izibia »

I tested this problem with TC 8.01 and 8.50ß9 , Windows XP SP3.
(This thread contains a related info too)

In short: there is no clear system in background colors of active/inactive tab headers: the color depends on
- Windows Theme
- Windows version
- TC version
(edit: it looks the statement above is wrong)

----------------------------------------
Observations:
(they are corrected lower)
Here are my observations on my system: Win XP SP3 and all 3 themes I have installed (Classic Theme, XP Theme, HmmXP):

Next "standard system grey" stands for the standard color used in the system for most controls. In my system and all 3 themes this color is grey.
In my system most of TC controls use "standard system grey". Only tabs behave irregularly:

Classic Theme:
all tabs: standard system grey
8.50ß9
all tabs: grey, but lighter than standard system grey

XP Theme (Luna)
8.01 + 8.50ß9
all inactive tabs: grey, but lighter than standard system grey
active tabs: white

HmmXP (not a part of Windows XP):
8.50ß9
Last edited by Izibia on 2013-11-18, 00:29 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Re: visualization of tab headers depends on Windows Theme

Post by *white »

Izibia wrote:Classic Theme:
8.50ß9
all tabs: grey, but lighter than standard system grey
I think this is the only thing not working as designed. I think for the classic theme the folder tabs background color should be standard system grey. I have been able to reproduce a lighter color with both versions, 8.01 and 8.50b9.

Here is how i can reproduce it:
* I am using Windows XP
* Switch to Windows XP style theme
* Start TC 8.01 or TC 8.50b9
* Switch to Classic theme

After this the tabs look like this. This tab color remains until I start Search (Alt+F7). After search, whenever the tabs are repainted the normal grey color is used. Also when I restart Total Commander the normal grey color is used.
Izibia

Re: visualization of tab headers depends on Windows Theme

Post by *Izibia »

Wndows Classic Theme
white, well done. I do confirm your observations.
I will add these points:
  • Let's call light grey tabs 'non-standard'.
    TC that has gotten the non-standard view in Classic Theme keeps this view even if Windows are switched to Luna and back. Similarly,
    TC that has gotten the standard view in Classic Theme keeps this view even if Windows are switched to Luna and back.
  • it is possible this problem happens to TC only. The non-standard view does arise neither with Qttab (=a tabbed Windows Explorer) nor with OS dialogs: their tabs are always 'standard'.
XP Theme (Luna)
Izibia wrote:8.01 + 8.50ß9
all inactive tabs: grey, but lighter than standard system grey
active tabs: white
Now I noticed this is exactly how also OS dialogs work, so it looks TC doesn't touch standard system view of active/inactive tabs and with XP Theme it works as supposed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, I don't see any bugs here - what do I need to change?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Izibia

Post by *Izibia »

The effect is very weak and can hardly do any harm to the user.

In short: in some (rare) situations tab headers with Classic Theme are light grey in place of grey and so don't conform the Classic Theme. This is true for both TC 8.01 and 8.50b9.

Personally I don't mind if nothing changes.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Hmm, I don't see any bugs here - what do I need to change?
It's a very small issue. When switching to Classic theme the folder tab background color is not updated immediately. Not seen in other programs except Total Commander.

Color directly after switching to Classic theme: wrong color.
After using search, the tabs are repainted with correct color.
Color after restarting TC: correct color
Izibia

Post by *Izibia »

I see something wrong in the middle screenshot. Probably an issue with the screenshot?
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Izibia wrote:I see something wrong in the middle screenshot. Probably an issue with the screenshot?
It shows some areas that are repainted after I moved a window over it and moved that window away again.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Another glitch when switching themes:
If you have the Find Files dialog open when switching themes the window size of the dialog is not adjusted.
Screenshots:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/5403/2llf.png
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7414/bl04.png
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it is too hard to check all windows' behaviour on switching theme, and, theme switching usually is rare. Should we spend too much time on something rare that may be fixed with TC restart?
Izibia

Post by *Izibia »

We had to spend that time in order to find out that the problems lie in theme switching and may be fixed by a TC restart. So I don't think that time was spent in vain.

Also all these problems (and maybe more serious problems that we don't know about) might be an effect of one simple bug...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately Delphi 2 isn't supporting themes at all, so I had to modify the VCL to add this. It's quite complex, so it's not possible to make everything work 100%. How often do you really change themes? I recommend that you just restart TC after changing themes. Btw, I have another program here where the buttons just disappear when the theme is changed...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Moving this thread to TC Behaviour which will not be changed is fine by me.
IonChristopher

Tab Visibility revisited and my (very) expert confusion

Post by *IonChristopher »

Hi!

I am super impressed and super bewildered at the same time
The speed beats the pants off VB6 based xyplorer - which also has unusual VB6 bugs. Finally wouldn't start at all with one - hence I'm here by force - but digging a 20:1 speed advantage - that saves me at least 10 minutes a day. THE WORST 10, BTW.

But I'm bewildered that I cannot for the life of me read the tabs - I mean it looks like one big tab with maybe a few half-point pipeline symbols (vertical bar to you noobs.) So they really are iffy to see. Maybe I can change the font to bold? (Just thought of it.):idea:

Yeah this worked okay - given the issue with tabs in general as discussed here. The best visibility comes from the choice of a bold fixed-width Window font, (Fonts setting) with equal width, and about 10 characters max (folder tabs setting).

Another huge mystery is why I can't find a selection to use only 1 file panel. You see I found the right terminology - but there is not a switch to be found. Just drag it off stage right - but it comes back on restarts - confusing my poor brain. Maybe I'll get over it? :?

In fact I have an entire list-to-be of bewilderments about TC - but overall I'm really happy that Xyplorer won't run for now and it forced me to tweak the poop out of my workflow. Which I have now done, less a few. :twisted: