7-zip plug-in that supports multi-volume archive creation?

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DRP535

7-zip plug-in that supports multi-volume archive creation?

Post by *DRP535 »

I have two 7-zip archive plug-ins installed. 7zip plugin and Total7zip. Neither of which I can successfully create a multi-volume 7-zip archive with. At work I have a mail attachment restriction of 5MB, so to get around that I have to use WinRAR to create 4.9MB volumes of the files I need to send.

7-zip is obviously a more efficient compressor, so I'm wanting to use that instead, but the lack of being able to get a 7-zip plugin to work at doing that is proving annoying. Has anyone got their 7-zip plug-in installation to work at creating multi-volume archives and if so, how did you do it?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It was suggested a long ago for 7Zip.
It was asked last year for Total7zip by you but author haven't answered.

Since Total7zip uses packer executable from 7-Zip, 7zG.exe, I think you should try making a buttonbar button that will pack selected files with multivolume option enabled, just try to discover its command line syntax. E.g. I use custom command for packing to CAB for some years and found it pretty useful, much more useful than using internal pack dialog (internal packer would block TC, also I would have to select corresponding packer plugin every time). I definitely would make similar command for 7Z if I needed it (usually I use context menu for packing to 7Z).
Last edited by MVV on 2014-03-25, 06:03 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
DRP535

Post by *DRP535 »

Cool thanks. I'll just abandon 7-zip for TC for the time being and use 7-zip Portable instead. Not ideal, but no worse than what I'm currently doing using WinRAR portable to create my multi-volume archives instead. The config for TC just seems too hard.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

As a starting point, you can try following button (7zG.exe may be portable, including one from Total7zip package):

Code: Select all

Command: 7zG.exe
Parameters: a -mx9 -o"%T" -scsUTF-8 -t7z -v4900k "%T%O.7z" @%UF
It will pack selected files into archive with focused file's name to target panel using volume size 4.9 MB. You can call 7zG via my AskParam to allow selecting volume size (values from drop-down list or some new one), compression level, target name etc (even password. Run console 7z.exe to know about 7zG.exe syntax (it seems to be the same).

Such command may be even better than context menu because it may be launched via hotkey and with exact parameters.
sticazzi

Post by *sticazzi »

MVV wrote:As a starting point, you can try following button (7zG.exe
Why 7zG.exe and not 7z.exe ?
MVV wrote:Parameters: a -mx9 -o"%T" -scsUTF-8 -t7z -v4900k "%T%O.7z" @%UF
What's the meaning of @%UF ?

Thanks
iana

Post by *iana »

not to split hairs but seeing how 7zip does not have real multi volume support but in fact uses regular binary split (*.001 *.002 etc) and this is supported natively in tc cm_Split why don't you just use one of the working 7zip plugins and split the output archive, unlike rar and zip 7zip needs all split files to unpack content.

ps. doesn't tc have full zip split support?
I know 7zip is superior but you can start unpacking split zip's without having all parts in the same dir just switch disks.

ps ps a better alternative to binary split specially for compressed files with data repair is par

http://parchive.sourceforge.net/#desc
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

sticazzi wrote:Why 7zG.exe and not 7z.exe ?
Because first one has GUI dialog while second one is console one.
sticazzi wrote:What's the meaning of @%UF ?
7z expects filelists with @ prefix, and when you specify %UF, TC creates temporary filelist (with selected files/folders) in UTF-8 encoding and passes its path.

You can get more from 7Z command line help and TC buttonbar help.