Thumbnail view

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Thumbnail view

Post by *Lefteous »

The thumbnail view is a feature which I use really often as the combination of a file manager and image managing is quite promising. I know there are many dedicated image management tool out there which lack file management features.

Unfortunately the thumbnail view in TC has some downsides:

1. It's really too slow. And it's especially slow for large directories. As discussed in the past this seems to be mainly an issue of the caching mechanism not actual extraction speed.

2. Changing the size is cumbersome. Some kind of zoom feature would be handy. I suggest to use the set thumbnail size and use it as the largest possible thumbnail (100%). All smaller thumbnails are downscaled on the fly.
sky66

Re: Thumbnail view

Post by *sky66 »

Lefteous wrote: 2. Changing the size is cumbersome. Some kind of zoom feature would be handy.
My suggestion is refer to Win7 Explorer:
1. Ctrl+mouse wheel up/down to zoom in/zoom out.

2. Click right mouse button, View ->
Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Small icons, List...
Image: http://i.imgur.com/XEFpUqw.png
Last edited by sky66 on 2015-01-23, 08:39 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2sky66
Is that what you suggest?
Ctrl+mouse wheel up/down to zoom in/zoom out.
Yes that's definitely a common hotkey currently not used in TC. Unfortunately the keyboard-only hotkeys Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- is already used in TC. Anyway I guess finding a good default hotkey is not a big deal when the technology is there.
Extra large icons, Large icons, Medium icons, Small icons, List...
Mh I never got used to this traversable line of views. I think it's better to separate zooming and changing of views.
sky66

Post by *sky66 »

Lefteous wrote:2sky66
Is that what you suggest?
Yes, my suggestion is follow Win7 or Chrome or IE common hot key.
Michael REMY

super idea

Post by *Michael REMY »

wooooh !
i like you idea a lot !

i use TC since the floppy version (i got it again in my drawer!).

in the first release of TC, i could use ACD Picaview (not free, but not expensive) which did the job PERFECTLY in windows explorer and even in TC :
Image: http://www.thelab.gr/uploads/monthly_05_2007/post-4508-1416073110,5537.jpg

And picaview was the lightest extension (not a loud factory like itunes at all,no, just a plugin into windows, only 100kb of program in this time).

But picaview stop running at windows vista version and earliers....only windows 95 and window 3.1 could use ACD picaview.
this was the last feature i was not finish to grive from windows 95 and windows xp...

i also tried many other solution, but all were to loud, many lags, many weight install and slow application. i also tried the TC plugin one, but it didn't satisfy me at all like ACD picaview did well.

10 years after, a miracle : in 2014 picaview is back into ACDsee 18 (still not free) and in x64 version, so it would run into TC contextual menu too !

what a beautiful world isn't it !

have a good day
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Michael REMY,
XnShell.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

Hacker wrote:Michael REMY,
XnShell.

HTH
Roman
nice! i didn't know they release a x64 release ! a couple years, i already test it but there were not any 64 bits version.
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Michael REMY,
BTW Imagine plugin is also able to show preview in a context menu and exists in both 32- and 64-bit versions.
xmeron

Re: Thumbnail view

Post by *xmeron »

Lefteous wrote:1. It's really too slow.
2. Changing the size is cumbersome.
I totally agree with you.
1. The thumbnails view is a little slow, at least it's not fast as people want.
2. Nowadays we all have many pictures in our pc, we need to use different thumbnail size frequently to check/organize/copy/move/delete the pictures, so a convenient thumbnail size setting function will be much better, such as a internal command below:
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet <size>
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet <size+>
The "cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet 128" means to set the thumbnails to 128*128, and "cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet 32+" means to add 32px to current thumbnail size.
Thany

Post by *Thany »

If the thumbnails are slow, would it be an option to let the GPU do the resizing? Would that speed things up?

I don't know, just throwing out an idea :)
Total Commander 11 on Windows 10
xmeron

Post by *xmeron »

Just as supplement for above and previous post:
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet 96 64
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet 16+ 32+
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /left 128 128
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /right 16+ 24-
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /source 64 32+
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /target 0 196
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /both 32+ 0
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /both reset reset
and
cm_ThumbnailsSizeSet /source reset 0
And, 0 means to keep original size, don't change. Reset means to reset to thumbnail size which sets in TC configuration dialog.