TC 8.51 Problem: deleting takes a lot of time

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Kleijwegt

TC 8.51 Problem: deleting takes a lot of time

Post by *Kleijwegt »

Problems with Total Commander 8.51

I'm convinced there's a bug in Total Commander 8.51. For many years I'm a happy user of Total Commander. I even used the program in Windows 3.11 in the early ninenties! (At that time the program was called Windows Commander.) So, I'm a very experienced user. But I'm NOT happy of Total Commander 8.51... I have noticed that when I delete files with 8.51 in Windows 7 (64 bit) it takes a lot of time before the deleting actually happens and my computer doesn't work. For me it seems as if TC 8.51 and the burnbasket of Windows 7 doesn't cooperate, because this problem doesn't occur when I delete with shift-del. At first I thought that my computer was malfunctioning. I've a dual-boot and one partition works with Windows XP 32 bit. However, when I use an older Total Commander like 8.5 everything goes well! And I also found out that similarly problems occur on another computer with Windows 7 32 bit and XP 32 bit. And again: No problems with 8.5
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Kleijwegt,
Configuration - Options - Operation - Calculate space occupied by subdirectories - before copying/deleting?

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Try to change the value of the following entry in your wincmd.ini (if it is missing, just add it)

Code: Select all

VistaDelete=0
Help wrote:VistaDelete=0 If =1, use new delete method of Windows Vista or later to delete files to recycle bin. Moves entire directories instead of individual files to recycle bin. Warning: This method doesn't warn about read only, hidden or system files, or non-empty directories, just like the Explorer! Do not use if you have manually disabled the recycle bin on certain drives!
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I wouldn't turn off VistaDelete, it's normally much faster than the old method. Try emptying the recycle bin from time to time.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com