Search via circular links

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

But if I specify something like "xxxx" and start searching, TC goes deeper and deeper, resulting in the screenshot above.
That's interesting, I can confirm that too! But when using something like *.xxxx, the junctions are detected here!

I will check that, seems like I'm using some alternate search method then...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could someone test this with Beta 17a, please?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Sorry, forgot about it completely…

I cannot reproduce the problem anymore on my Win7 computer, so seems to be fixed. Tonight I will also try to test it on my notebook where the original Incoming\Documents issue took place.

<Added>
Yes, fixed there too.
Last edited by Flint on 2012-01-29, 10:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
mkobylan

Post by *mkobylan »

Testing on another computer (both 7.56a and 8.0beta17 behaves the same way):
When starting at
c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data\
Total commander finds 124 files of 20MB size. So far so good.
When starting at
c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\
Total commander finds 2356 files of 382MB size.
"Application Data" link has Everyone - Full controll permissions.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2mkobylan
TC doesn't handle the case where you have already opened a link recursively, sorry.
tc_rv

this is still happening in 09/2015 with TC 8.5

Post by *tc_rv »

this is still happening in 09/2015 with TC 8.52 (64-bit) - Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit)

when i search anything on c:\ i get TC caught in neverending loop

C:\Doucments and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\... its a neverending loop that can go for 5 hours... whatever

i tried many remedies:
Setting Application Data folder permisions to Everyone - Deny Read/Access
Restoring system hardlinks and junctions to defaults with Junction Box program

THE FIX:
add these to TC ignore list (in TC Configuration/Ignore list)

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\
c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\AppData\Local\Application Data\
c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\
c:\Users\All Users\Application Data\
c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Application Data\
c:\Users\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\

<username> is your user profile name

THIS FIXED IT FOR ME... NOW TC GOES THROUGH c:\ WITHOUT CATCHING IN THE LOOP TRAP....

your system may have more user profiles than mine, so you might need to add more <username> folders... let TC search through c:\ and add every "Application Data" folder that loops... in the Ignore list... those six were all that was looping on my HDD...

please keep this thread archived because there doesnt seem to be any other solution for this Application Data Microsoft mess... thanks god Ignore list exists in TC...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Just tried searching within AppData\Local dir: no loops happened.

I don't know who has damaged your compatibility reparse points but by default they have denied execution and contents enumeration so TC simply skips them during search.

This is what icacls shows for Documents and Settings:

Code: Select all

C:\Documents and Settings\ Everyone:(DENY)(S,RD)
                           Everyone:(RX)
                           NT AUTHORITY\system:(F)
                           BUILTIN\Administrators:(F)
Note the first line, this is mentioned deny permission for contents enumeration, and it must be set for every compatibility link to prevent enterint it like regular folder (link must only provide access for inner items by full path but not browsing).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed it depends on how the links are defined - on some system, the user (and TC) only has the permission to follow the link, but not to read its target. Then TC has no chance to find out whether there is a loop or not.

You can use the "IgnoreLinks" option in wincmd.ini to not follow links in various functions (e.g. when searching). Please check the entry about wincmd.ini in the help file for details.
tc_rv

Post by *tc_rv »

thanks for replies... i stand corrected there are couple of solutions and iam good with my solution using TC Configuration / Ignore List (not ignorelinks in wincmd.ini)... i wasnt saying the problem was caused by TC... although i was quilty of that assumption in the begining... :oops: quite opposite... i registered on the forum only to clarify to any other victims that this error can happen to anyone with screwed up folder permissions be it 2012 (original poster) or 2015 or 2025 and no version of TC (7.56a or 8.52 or 15.2) will remedy it on its own... either you can learn how Windows Folder permissions work or you can fix it the quickest and dumbest way anyone with basic PC skills can handle... and go on with your life without spending more than 1 minute on this Microsoft crap (iam saying that because iam 100% sure i didnt mess with my Application Data or Documents and Settings permissions - absolutely no reason for me to even go to those settings ever)...

If you googled this thread like me, just use the TC Configuration / Ignore List... thanks Mr. Ghisler for giving us multiple options to fix one problem... your program is amazing... also its incredible to see such quick reponse given the size of this forum... cheers