TC + VLC + Internal Associations = Bug ?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

islogged

TC + VLC + Internal Associations = Bug ?

Post by *islogged »

Hi (i try it in english)

I use internal associations for launch my files in TC with the adequate program !
For VLC media files, my param. is: %COMMANDER_DRIVE%\Portable\Vlc\App\vlc\vlc.exe "%1"

Anyway if i select most than 1 media file in TC +> Right Click +> Open (Internal)
VLC open them and play them but in Random way, it don't keep the good file order selected !

I already share this problem with the VideoLAN Forums here : https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=129112
And a video of this problem : https://vid.me/yZHM

The answer of the VideoLan Forums staff is :
VLC inserts files in the order in which it gets them from the file manager.
Another way to say : the problem is your file manager ...

Then i come here, because my file manager is Total commander ...
Bug of TC or not ? -> And my question is : How to solve this problem ?

- Thanks -
Ps: I use TC v8.50
Gral
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Gral »

First of all - as for me "%1" just doesn't works for more than 1 file - use "%2" instead. With "%2" all is fine.

With "%1" as many instances of VLC launches, as many files you try to open and plays them at once (simultanously).
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I confirm that TC with %1 launches one program instance per file so it really becomes a race condition which instance will open faster and pass its file to the already running VLC earlier.
islogged

Post by *islogged »

Yeah i understand, but it's mean we have another problem ...

If i put %COMMANDER_DRIVE%\Soft\Video\Portable\Vlc\VLCPortable.exe %2 -----> it solve for multiple files like you told < OK
Anyway now if i want to double-click to read only 1 file (example: 001 - Charli XCX - Break The Rules.mp4) i got : http://i.imgur.com/0KPulOu.jpg

I tried this %COMMANDER_DRIVE%\Soft\Video\Portable\Vlc\VLCPortable.exe "%2" it solve the problem for 1 file, but now if i select more than 1 file, example :
001 - Charli XCX - Break The Rules.mp4
002 - Iggy Azalea - Fancy (ft. Charli XCX).mp4
003 - Iggy Azalea - Bak To the Future.mp4

+> Right Click +> Open (Internal)
I get this : http://i.imgur.com/4gRIV6X.jpg

I tried also to combine %1 %2 or "%1" %2 or %1 "%2" ...
I will not detail all but for this time i can't find a parameter who work correctly for launch with Double-Click (launch 1 file) AND Right-Click (launch multiples files) ... together

If i don't mistake it sound like a bug of TC ...
I wait your tests, and maybe you more strong than me and you could also solve this issue ...

Thanks
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is strange that it didn't work for you because my test shows that all should be correct. When I use "%2", TC quotes all filenames that it passed to program:

Code: Select all

"C:\Windows\System32\notepad.exe" "D:\10_4567890\one two.zzz" "D:\10_4567890\one two three.zzz"
Even more, when I use just %2 w/o quotes, TC still quotes all names containing spaces so resulting command line is the same.

You can test it yourself with any Windows program like calc.exe or notepad.exe. Just select multiple files, run your action and then look for process command line using e.g. Process Hacker or Process Explorer.

Also you can try starting your VLC with multiple quoted filenames in arguments in order to see if it works correctly.
islogged

Post by *islogged »

It is strange that it didn't work for you because my test shows that all should be correct. When I use "%2", TC quotes all filenames that it passed to program
Hi, i check it all with [Process Hacker] and finally it was a bug of TC v8.50 i used !
In TC v8.50 param "%2" send doublequote on the first argument, for what something wrong in VLC !

In TC v8.52a "%2" effectively work in all the cases, but %2 work only for multiple file, not for single (doubleclick) file !

Then now Problem seem solved ! (i hope)

A Big Thanks for help ...