SSL_get_error when synchronising large directories

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

spiko

SSL_get_error when synchronising large directories

Post by *spiko »

Hi, I am using TC 8.52a 64 bit on Windows 10 with the SSL/ CURL libraries version 7.40.

I can connect with active mode to my filezilla ftps server (latest version) and do normal stuff OK.

There is a problem when synchronising folders though:
I have around 30.000 files in 1000+ folders and reading of it through FTP sync takes a few minutes (1-3).

Sometimes after ten seconds TC briefly pops up a message saying it lost connection OFFLINE2;ERROR=0 and folders from ftp are not shown correctly
LOG:

Code: Select all

...lots of folders read...
Waiting for server...
226 Successfully transferred "...", unfortunately compression did increase the transfer size by 11 bytes to 52 bytes (26.82%)
CWD dialogs
250 CWD successful. "..." is current directory.
Get directory
PO RT 10, x,x ,x,2 37,3
200 Port command successful
MLSD
150 Opening data channel for directory listing of "..."
Download
Waiting for server...
226 Successfully transferred "...", unfortunately compression did increase the transfer size by 11 bytes to 64 bytes (20.75%)
CWD ...
250 CWD successful. "l...e" is current directory.
CWD ...
SSL_read returned -1, SSL_get_error=5, ERR_get_error=0
OFFLINE2, error=0
Some times it detects this disconnect and asks me to reconnect, and continues to read the FTP contents. When it completes the remote folders are again not correctly read. The error is the same as before.

It almost always takes 9-10 seconds of normal reading before it stops.

I think a few times it succeeded to read all the files without error (two times of 30 tries).

FileZilla server shows just that client disconnected.

I do not remember if this worked OK before ftps, but I tested and passive mode makes no difference.

There is a iptables gateway/ firewall between pc's.

My german is not good but it seems someone reported something like this in viewtopic.php?t=39090

BTW, when posting this message I got error "In order to try to prevent spammers, we do not allow our users to post URLs in any form until they have posted at least 1 legitimate posts and have been with us for more than 1 days. We appreciate your understanding in this matter in order to help us eliminate spam from this forum. If you have somehow gotten this message even though you meet both of the criteria, please let us know ASAP."
I had to remove FTP debug info since "folder/folder/file" format seems to trigger the error. But I didn't see anything wrong with the debug info anyway.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, error 5 is
SSL_ERROR_SYSCALL 5 /* look at error stack/return value/errno */

Difficult to say what could be wrong. It means that the OpenSSL dll called some system function like CreateSocket, which failed.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
spiko

Post by *spiko »

I tried without the gateway/firewall today and had same results. Windows event log gave no clues. Is there some debug version of SSL which I can use to generate some logs?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Unfortunately the details above are all you will get. But since it's an operating system function error, you may see something with Process Monitor from the www.sysinternals.com site.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com