Can 'Undo' be added to the menu please?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Trast

Can 'Undo' be added to the menu please?

Post by *Trast »

undo last command (s)
can that be added to the menu please?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Trast.

If it were that simple then Undo last action would have been added to the menu a long time ago, and very likely there would be an internal command cm_UndoLastAction.

Yet, life is not that simple. There are actions which might be reverted like e.g. renaming. There are actions which can be undone most of the time already today like e.g. deleting objects to the recycle bin.

But, how are you going to undo a copy operation e.g. in the not so unlikely case that you have overwritten older files having the same filenames in the target folder?

To cut it short:

The questions related to "Undo or No undo and what can be undone" have been discussed more than once and in a controverse way in the past in this forum. The forum search should reveal at least some of these discussion threads.

The essence so far is that the programme author is more than sceptical that offering a general Undo function will do any good. I.e. little chances of seeing the requested menu item in the (near) future, if ever.

Kind regards,
Karl
MX Linux 21.3 64-bit xfce, Total Commander 10.52 64-bit
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Prophet's Song
Trast

Post by *Trast »

Thanks for your response and explanation, I'm happy with this and should've thought a bit of self first. :oops: :wink:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is currently Undo in two places:
1. The multi-rename tool: Since it never overwrites any files, Undo can be done reliably
2. When you delete to recycle bin with TC8, or when using the Explorer method in TC 7.x, you can Undo by right clicking on the Windows desktop and choosing "Undo".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Trast

Post by *Trast »

Yes, that have i used some times :lol:
/Trast

Excuse my bad English and spelling. ;-)
LonerD

Post by *LonerD »

Explorer can undo renaming of a single file, undo copying or moving files. It would be great to see these options in the TC.
you can Undo by right clicking on the Windows desktop and choosing "Undo".
Desctop - is good. But would like to make Undo deleting fron TC command.
"I used to feel guilty in Cambridge that I spent all day playing games, while I was supposed to be doing mathematics. Then, when I discovered surreal numbers, I realized that playing games IS math." John Horton Conway
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, I will not offer undo in cases where there is no guarantee that it will work. In all the above cases (rename, copy, move), Undo isn't possible if any files get overwritten.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
eugenesv

Post by *eugenesv »

I know this is an old thread, but it's been a recurring theme throughout the years and there doesn't seem to be a good case against it, so just laying out some thoughts why it's a good idea even if it's not perfect/universal (you might've created files in place, so undo can overwrite them or you can't undo shift-delete") and "I have never had so far a need for an UNDO, so I have voted NO" (yeah, what about those who have?)

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sorry, I will not offer undo in cases where there is no guarantee that it will work. In all the above cases (rename, copy, move), Undo isn't possible if any files get overwritten.
That's not a universal IF. In most cases you realize you've made a mistake right away, so would like to quickly revert it. And it'd be perfectly fine for the Undo operation to just abort/not start/not complete with a warning if it finds some conflicts. It would still be very useful in the majority of the cases when there are no additional changes that would conflict with Undo.

Say, Undo "Move to Recycle Bin" is a very useful feature that allows to cut down on the annoying number of confirmation boxes you have to click through. The thing is you make a mistake infrequently relative to the total number of delete operations. So it's much better to have a convenient immediate undo feature in say 10% of cases when you mistakenly deleted something rather than confirming delete in the 100% of cases. Warning should only be reserved for operations you can't recover from (e.g. Shift-Delete).

Basically, I'd argue that a useful feature shouldn't be rejected on the grounds that it's not "perfect" and can't right all the user mistakes. Not asking for that, a correction of a specific subset of user mistakes would still be fine. Hopefully you'd reconsider.