Issue about compare files.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

haibinpro

Issue about compare files.

Post by *haibinpro »

sometimes,user only need to known are the two files is the same.So I sugguest the "cm_CompareFilesByContent" command more agent.such as when compare two files with diff size,it will report different quickly.or when the two files are bigger than 1M and compare by section by section,when find the two section are different,it will report different quickly.
currently ,the behave of "cm_CompareFilesByContent" take too long time if the two files are big.I have to create crc/md5 of the files to enduce the time.
It is kindly if there is a option to enabel it and custom it.
#147708 Personal licence
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

In case of different sizes internal compare tool will not compare contents at all because it is senseless.
Perhaps trying some blocks in different places of file could be nice (and I think there were some similar suggestions).

BTW you can easilly setup/use different compare tool if you want and TC will call it when you execute cm_CompareFilesByContent command. There is a CompareTool key in [Configuration] section of wincmd.ini.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I vote for an alternate compare command that just displays equal or not. In case the files are not identical comparison stops and the compare window wouldn't be opened but a message is displayed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When you need this for just one file, you can prevent the opening of the compare tool with ESC. The compare function does compare the two files before opening the tool, so it shows "The two files are identical" if they are 100% the same.

When you need this for multiple files, just use "synchronize dirs" with options "ignore date" and "by content".
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
haibinpro

Post by *haibinpro »

Thanks ,I'll try find some thirdparty tools to meet my issue
#147708 Personal licence
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When you need this for just one file, you can prevent the opening of the compare tool with ESC.
that's just bothersome
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What's the difference between closing this dialog with ESC and closing a dialog "The files are different!" with ESC?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2ghisler(Author)
It's not about pressing ESC but about the need to stop an ongoing operation. It's a bad interaction.