Lister: Ctrl+End on growing file

Please report only one bug per message!

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Lister: Ctrl+End on growing file

Post by *Valentino »

1. Press F3 on some growing file (e.g. build log that is currently in progress).
  2. Press Ctrl+End. I see several (configured) lines at the top and cursor is visible after them.
  3. Press Ctrl+End again. Entire page is filled, bottom line is truncated (and I know there are more lines after it) and cursor is out of view.
I would expect to see in both cases an entire page filled with lines and cursor is at the bottom of the page.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Lister: Ctrl+End on growing file

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

How exactly did you know that there should be more lines in the file when you pressed Ctrl+End? After all, those lines you expected to see in the file might perhaps still have lingered in some build tool-specific (write) buffer and were not yet written to the file when you did Ctrl+End.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Actually it does not matter so let me not to overflow the thread with unnecessary info.
What is important is that the last visible line is partially visible (top half of the line is visible, bottom half is out of view along with the cursor).

Additional observation:
Sometimes repeated pressing of Ctrl+End reloads the file, so I see what is described in point 2. Then at some point reloads are "stuck" so I see what is described in point 3 and subsequent pressing of Ctrl+End does not change the screen anymore (but build is still going). I have to press F2 (reload) to go out of this stuck state.

P.S. I was building boost libraries with redirection of output to a file, if someone wants to reproduce the same conditions :)
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Ah, okay. Got the wrong understanding when you talked about the bottom line being truncated and further lines missing. With your additional explanation it is now much clearer that it is a presentation issue with the lister window not updating or messing up its scroll region (with respect to Ctrl+End).
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

I think I've seen the same when using Lister without a cursor and pressing End on an updating file.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Seems like this is most reliable way to observe the problem (you can do this even on fixed-size file, no need for it to be growing):
1. Press Ctrl+Home, then press Ctrl+End several times until it gets stuck.
2. Repeat step 1.

Questions:
Q1. Why Ctrl+End does not fill entire page?
Q2. Why it sometimes gets stuck?
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

I tried here on my box (Win 7 Pro x64 en, TC 8.52a x64) and i could not reproduce the problem.

The text file i used is about 430KB, 2400+ lines, only ASCII chars and CR/LF line endings.
I tested the lister in ANSI, ASCII and in "Variable char width" mode, and each of them both with word wrap enabled and disabled. Text cursor was always enabled.

I tried until my hand got tired. Nothing, nada, zilch... :(

Perhaps it is a good idea if you give more details about your environment (which Windows and TC version, do you run 32bit or 64 bit TC?), the lister settings you use and whether there is something "special" about those files (like them containing Unicode, UTF or language/locale-specific MBCS character sequences, what kind of line endings, etc...)

From the limited information available, it smells to me like a race condition with respect to rendering and key input processing...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Please press F2 to force a refresh. The known size isn't updated when you press just Ctrl+End.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com