Extra horizontal space is great - some more ideas

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MVV
In your mockup left panel's left border and right panel's left borders have different depth.
Well kind of. There is no left panel left border and no right panel right border in my mockup. What you probably consider as left panel left border is actually the window border.
As stated in my previous post this approach doesn't work for the classic theme as there is no window border that could be used to create the depth effect as its color is too blight.
I've fixed my mockup
You would have to add a right panel border still if you want something consistent.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There is no left panel left border and no right panel right border in my mockup.
In such case separator borders shouldn't have such depth too, or entire separator should be raised (but that won't look good).
You would have to add a right panel border still if you want something consistent.
Ah, I see, indeed.

I've fixed panel borders and removed unnecessary spacing around headers, also I've changed headers' depth (lighter color) and tried to show released name header. I'm not sure about flat path bars, but the rest seems to be ok.

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

After taking a closer look at beta 2 I noticed some progress. The sorting column header no longer overlaps with the file list border.

This is starting to look really good! There is nothing left I would consider a real graphical glitch. Everything else is about style and I think some nice ideas were presented here.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I'm currently busy with fixing bugs, but I keep this in mind as a possible improvement.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

14.08.16 Added: Re-added horizontal border between listbox and footer when using themes, using top line of tab control (32/64)
Thank you - another step forward!

What do you think about the other mentioned suggestions? Are they worth a try?
1) No outer and bottom border (themed only)
2) Padding for cursor, path bar and column headers (aligned with icon padding)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1) The outer and bottom border of the tab are drawn by the tab control. I don't think that there is a way to turn them off.
2) I don't understand this, what do you mean? Extra pixels? How many?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

1) The outer and bottom border of the tab are drawn by the tab control. I don't think that there is a way to turn them off.
Maybe one of these work:
- Draw the tab control left - border width and height + border width. This way the border would be cut.
- Don't draw a border at all and emulate the actually needed borders by drawing lines instead.
2) I don't understand this, what do you mean? Extra pixels? How many?
Padding here means moving the elements like cursor, path bar, column header moving away a few pixels from the border. This could be the same as the horizontal spacing used for placing the file icons.
These are the mockups from the first post: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160609/6p3rksa7.png
http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160610/yv65nxpc.png