[9.0b1x64] rubberband selection becomes unsmooth

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Unfortunately there has been no (positive) change in this matter. B2 has rather made things a little worse. I'll try to create some kind of video in order to have a visualization of this issue.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe I just don't understand your problem?

Does it happen when you disable icons completely?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

OK, take a look at the gif here.

First of all, there's a new issue introduced in b2 You will notice in the gif that the green rectangle (selection) appears randomly while moving the mouse.

Second, notice when the mouse cursor moves to the left panel how unsmooth the movement of the selection is. The framerate of the gif was set to 50fps on purpose, to be able to easily see the movement.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, that helps. I will analyze it in detail, but it looks like TC is getting less mouse move notifications when the cursor is outside of the window...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

The first problem (rubberband selection not smooth) still exists in b3 (i didn't expect any solution so soon, it seems low-priority). There is also a second problem which is not solved (which worked fine in b1 but started in b2 and remains in b3. When selecting in one of the panels and multiple columns exist, the selection cursor appears and is being repositioned in the panel as the mouse moves. This does appear in the gif i posted in my previous post.

EDIT: Here is how it looks in b1. Notice that the selection cursor looks as if the panel has been disabled and does not change position while in the gif in my previous post, it moves around.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sadly I couldn't reproduce the unsmooth selection here, it's very smooth whether the cursor is inside or outside. I also couldn't find anything in my code which would explain the difference you see. Therefore my conclusion is that Windows is sending you fewer mouse move notifications when outside.

I will move this to things that will not be changed, sorry. Just disable the rubberband selection if you have this problem.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sadly I couldn't reproduce the unsmooth selection here, it's very smooth whether the cursor is inside or outside. I also couldn't find anything in my code which would explain the difference you see. Therefore my conclusion is that Windows is sending you fewer mouse move notifications when outside.

I will move this to things that will not be changed, sorry. Just disable the rubberband selection if you have this problem.
OK, no problem for the unsmooth part. It doesn't seem that important anyway. The other part with the selection box appearing and moving while rubberband-selecting? In b1 this didn't happen. It started in b2 and it seems to be a bug.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean the text cursor? I'm indeed investigating that, but it doesn't have anything to do with this thread title...
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You mean the text cursor? I'm indeed investigating that, but it doesn't have anything to do with this thread title...
Well, although you are very correct about this 2nd issue being irrelevant with the thread title, since i initially reported it here, i'll also report here that is has been fixed in b4. :)
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I changed it indeed! The problem was that in beta 1, the rubberband selection was a separate window, taking the focus away from TC - so the text cursor was gone. In newer betas, it's a child window to avoid the extra icon in the task bar - but then the cursor was remaining. I'm now explicitly hiding it during rubberband selection, and show it again when the selection is done.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Nice. Thanks for the explanation.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯