Context menu: no "New >" if list have no free s

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Michael REMY

Context menu: no "New >" if list have no free s

Post by *Michael REMY »

hi,

i do not know whenever it is a bug or a missing feature or a bad configuration i have (my bad ?).

well, i ogten need to create a notepad file in folder.
so when i am in a blank list (without file) or in a list where there is a few files (so i can have a whhite space in the list), i have to right-clic with my mouse and i chose the item to create a new notepad file. (txt file).

so when the file lists is full (no white space area to clic), i can't have the feature in my contexctual menu !

i tried it in windows explorer , it appends too. but there i can clic on a white are (a blank field in colum of after a name file), then i contextual menu is full of feature.

so, clicking on white area in TC does not full the contextual menu, i only have to click on a full white line to have all the feature.

is it normal or can be setting up ?
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Use Shift-F4
Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

Horst.Epp wrote:Use Shift-F4
no ! this shortcut is for editing a file (whatever it is)
i'm an old long user of TC since the windows 3.11 release !, for the history, i came to tc when i migrate from amiga commodore to PC where they are diskmanager and directory opus there.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Michael REMY wrote:
No it isn't
It asks for the name of a new file to create and edit.
So its exactly what you requested.
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Re: miss feature in context menu depending on blank list or

Post by *Stefan2 »

Michael REMY wrote: --- i have to right-clic with my mouse and i chose the item to create a new notepad file. (txt file).

--- so when the file lists is full (no white space area to clic), i can't have the feature in my contexctual menu !

You can right click the path bar, above of the files list, to get that "New" menu.

You can also use Shift+F4 to create new file, as Horst.Epp mentioned already.
Even in a full list, just modify the name in that dialog to a new one.

Next you could create an Button or usercmd (also with hotkey) to create new files:

Code: Select all

[em_NewFile]
cmd=%comspec% /c copy nul
Param=?.txt

[em_NewFile_YYYYMMDD]
Param=?%%Date:~-4,4%%.%%Date:~-7,2%%.%%Date:~0,2%%.txt

[em_NewFile_BaseName]
Param=?"%O .%E .txt"
menu=new file, take base name from selected file

[em_NewFilePUTFILE] ; file 'editor' with path  to editor
cmd=%commander_path%\Plugins\NewFilePutFile\putfile.exe
Param=?%O

At last, if you try out TC v9 beta, there is a new command for you:
cm_EditFileMenu
08.06.16 Release Total Commander 9.0 beta 1 (32/64)
24.05.16 Added: New internal command cm_EditFileMenu to show 'New' submenu from the right click context menu, to create new files other than plain text (32/64)

Michael REMY

Post by *Michael REMY »

Horst.Epp wrote:
Michael REMY wrote:
No it isn't
It asks for the name of a new file to create and edit.
So its exactly what you requested.
i tried again and i understood how it works.
so if i let the default name (like a mp3 one because i have mp3 file in my full list), then it opens an txt editor and show me the hexadecimal content of the mp3 (which very dangeruous because if i hit the SAVE button....)

So i have to enter a new filename named .TXT to have an editor opened on a txt new file. it is funny because TC isn't opening notepad but the editor i configured to TC (firt button in the bottom) (whereas tc open notepad when i dbl-click on the txt file).
Michael REMY

Re: miss feature in context menu depending on blank list or

Post by *Michael REMY »

Stefan2 wrote:
Michael REMY wrote: --- i have to right-clic with my mouse and i chose the item to create a new notepad file. (txt file).

--- so when the file lists is full (no white space area to clic), i can't have the feature in my contexctual menu !

You can right click the path bar, above of the files list, to get that "New" menu.

yep, thank you it works there.