icons of some file types had become blurry (suddenly)

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

zloidooraque

icons of some file types had become blurry (suddenly)

Post by *zloidooraque »

hi!
icons in tc suddenly became blurry. and they are ok in explorer
i cleared windows thumbnail cache and i can't find TC's cache
TC is 9 beta, but i unpacked old backup of tc 8 and result is the same

here u can see tc icons and windows explorer icons:
Image: http://image.prntscr.com/image/98d9124d251244628f161c882ceb867e.png

UPD
it is not very clear on this picture, but some icons are displayed o.k., e.g. for all exe files, html (chrome icon) and some other file types they are good.
Last edited by zloidooraque on 2016-07-21, 13:06 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

To know where TC's cache, open Configuration dialog> Thumbnails page
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: icons became blurry (suddenly)

Post by *HolgerK »

zloidooraque wrote:icons in tc suddenly became blurry. and they are ok in explorer
Ensure that "Configuration -> Options... -> Icons: Icon size"
is set to "16x16"
Looks like you have set this to "17x17"

Regards
Holger
zloidooraque

Post by *zloidooraque »

ts4242 wrote:To know where TC's cache, open Configuration dialog> Thumbnails page
thanks.
i've deleted it and nothing changed.
still, i think thumbnails is not the same thing as icons.
zloidooraque

Re: icons became blurry (suddenly)

Post by *zloidooraque »

HolgerK wrote:
zloidooraque wrote:icons in tc suddenly became blurry. and they are ok in explorer
Ensure that "Configuration -> Options... -> Icons: Icon size"
is set to "16x16"
Looks like you have set this to "17x17"
yep, i've triple checked it in the first place. i mean nope: it's 16x16

anyway, the only thing that i've changed on this page recently is spacing (set to 0/0). icons was showing normally after that.
i'd tried to set it 2/2 or something (don't remember defaults), but it has't help

also, it is not very clear on this picture, but some icons are displayed o.k., e.g. for all exe files, html (chrome icon) and some other file types they are good.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Did you also clear the windows icon cache?
http://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/
Maybe the icons shown in explore are still cached ones?

Icons and thumbnails are two different things in Explorer(and TC).
Afair TC caches icons only in memory of a single instance and does not persist the images after a restart.

Did you recently change one of the windows display scaling options or update the display driver?
Or do you use a multiple monitor setup under windows 8.1/10 with per monitor different display scalings?
BTW: Which Windows version?

Regards
Holger
zloidooraque

Post by *zloidooraque »

HolgerK wrote:
Did you also clear the windows icon cache?
http://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/
Maybe the icons shown in explore are still cached ones?

Icons and thumbnails are two different things in Explorer(and TC).
Afair TC caches icons only in memory of a single instance and does not persist the images after a restart.

Did you recently change one of the windows display scaling options or update the display driver?
Or do you use a multiple monitor setup under windows 8.1/10 with per monitor different display scalings?
BTW: Which Windows version?

Regards
Holger
windows is 10

yep, i have cleared windows cache several times, i also tracked with procmon, where TC is referring and it was windows icon cache. as you see on screenshot windows displays icons well (it is TC and windows explorer side by side, single screenshot without edits)

yes, i was reinstalling some drivers and then windows itself. there was much of hussle.

right now i use single display (notebook). but when i was using second monitor before, it was also displaying icons well.

also i was playing around with different resolutions settings in wincmd.ini (removing, editing, substituting current 1600x900 with others etc), this had no effect.

scaling is 100% now, as always has been.

most curious thing for me tho, is why explorer displays icons well and TC displays same icons blurred. and the manner is strange:
blurred image icons (xnview), video (gom player), audio (winamp), office formats;
not blurred txt, log etc (sublime text), pdf (edge), html etc (chrome), all exes, "native" TC icons (archives, folders etc)

when i change default apps, in some cases new icons are blurred too, in other they are ok.
also, "good" icons are crisp and clear, without any indication of rescaling.

it leads me to idea, that it's the fault of some cache in the end. but i can't find it.

i was testing with clean tc 9 install, very old backed up tc 8 and current tc 9 i'm working in (which is actually just previous tc i used with substituted bins). icons were good in all these versions before, not to mention