Home/End keys in command browser

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Home/End keys in command browser

Post by *Dalai »

Hi there.

TC has a lot of edit boxes scattered around its dialogs. Unfortunately they don't behave the same. The most annoying one (for me) is this: The Home and End keys don't work at all in the command browser (cm_CommandBrowser) when the filter edit box has the focus. They work when either list (category or command) is focused.

Why is this annoying? Shift+Home and Shift+End are supposed to select the entire contents of an edit box (starting from cursor position) so the text can be easily replaced. So to enter some completely different word, one needs to use backspace to delete the text from the filter first. Shift+Home/Shift+End would do this much faster, and it would be much more consistent with other edit boxes in TC.

I thought about whether I should put this in suggestions, but I'd rather rate it as a bug.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I agree, that when the "Filter" edit box has focus, Home and End should work in the edit box.

It is OK that the PageUp and PageDn ad ArrowUp and ArrowDn works for the lists above the Filter field even when the Filter field has focus - Those keys only designates vertical movement, but Home and End is just as much for horisontal movement - and hence belongs to the focused edit box - as they are for vertical movements.

The same goes for the new "Choose plugin property" dialog, when focus is on the "Filter" field.

And for the "Directory tree" dialog where NO cursor keys work in the "Quick search" field.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is actually intentional! Home/End jumps to the first/last entry in the list. The up/down arrows also work on the list, while the left/right keys work on the edit box.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
I see. Well, you could at least allow Shift+Home/End when the filter box is focused so that the selection can easily be overwritten.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, I can add this easily, thanks for the suggestion.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, Shift+Home/End added!
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2ghisler(Author)
Thanks! It works good in the command browser, but not in the other dialogs Peter mentioned; it would be nice if you could add it to those as well (and dialogs which both of us forgot to mention, if there any other).

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Thanks! It works good in the command browser, but not in the other dialogs Peter mentioned; it would be nice if you could add it to those as well (and dialogs which both of us forgot to mention, if there any other).
I agree..
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will add it to the "Choose plugin property" dialog.

But I cannot add it to the tree dialog because it doesn't use an edit control at all. Too many changes would be needed to make it work there, sorry.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Home/End jumps to the first/last entry in the list. The up/down arrows also work on the list, while the left/right keys work on the edit box.
Usually in edit fields Home/End move cursor, and entire document is scrolled with Ctrl+Home/End. Remember your Lister: when cursor is disabled, Home/End scroll document, but when cursor is enabled, Home/End move cursor within a line, and document may only be scrolled with Ctrl+Home/End. So in command browser same thing may be used: Home/End to move cursor in edit field (when edit field is focused) and Ctrl+Home/End scroll command list.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2MVV
Good idea! That would make the dialog's behavior much less confusing.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

So in command browser same thing may be used: Home/End to move cursor in edit field (when edit field is focused) and Ctrl+Home/End scroll command list.
I agree.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, I will not change that now after so many years. Adding more hotkeys is OK, but changing these long-used isn't such a good idea.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There is nothing that will be broken if you change list scrolling hotkeys in command browser. And, remember Lister again, you've changed hotkeys for scrolling Lister when you've added cursor to it. :)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

history.txt wrote:05.08.16 Added: Support Shift+Home/End in content plugin selection dialog (e.g. button "[=?] Plugin" in multi-rename tool) (32/64)
Thanks! That makes it less annoying to retype the filter in these dialogs. However, I wonder if anybody really uses Home/End keys in these dialogs...

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence