Alternate icon library wasn't select in configuration menu

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Did you read my message about the versioninfo requirements?
Yes, I read the message!

I already have a functioning wcmicon2.dll - if I for example copy that to wcmicon3.dll or wcmicon9.dll these names are NOT shown in the selection box in the Icon library dialog.

Also, if I just rename the functioning wcmicon2.dll to wcmicon3.dll (no copy) then nothing is shown in the selection box.

THE ONLY FILENAME THAT SEEMS TO WORK IS wcmicon2.dll

Just as MVV also reports here: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=310621#310621

Question: Maybe my wcmicon2.dll doesn't have a valid versioninfo resource with the description field set to something unique, but it only works because you have programmed TC to always accept that specific filename even without the versioninfo - is that the case?

This is the file I use: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wcmicon2.dll

EDIT: I finally managed to make a dll with a versioninfo that works: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/wcmicon3.dll

wcmicon2.dll only has the "FileDescription" field, whereas I in wcmicon3.dll used the versioninfo from totalcmd64.exe as template.

So it seems that more than the "FileDescription" field is needed...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Still problems in TC9b5

If the filename is wcmicon2.dll (as this one: https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wcmicon2.zip) then the description is not shown in the "Icon library" dialog.

If I change the filename to fx. wcmicon5.dll the description is shown correctly.

There is still no support for .inc files with names that matches the .dll file (fx: wcmicon3.dll and wcmicon3.inc) - is that planned?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I thought that the description wasn't needed for wcmicon2 file (which will be included in TC installer once the icons are completed). It would only be shown for user-installed icon libraries.
There is still no support for .inc files with names that matches the .dll file (fx: wcmicon3.dll and wcmicon3.inc) - is that planned?
I'm considering it, but it could cause problems when the user changes icon library, and a button with icon X suddently has no more icon because the image is missing in the new icon library...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

and a button with icon X suddently has no more icon because the image is missing in the new icon library...
That could also happen without an .inc file, if the .dll file was not made correctly.

It is up to the authors of alternative icon sets to make sure that at least the standard commands in the original wcmicons.inc are represented.

Then the .dll could furthermore contain extra icons that could be indexed in the alternative .inc file. It would also make it possible to make a custom .inc file to accompany an alternative menu with extra em_commands that can be indexed (commands above index 10000)

If you find it problematic that an icon could be missing, then maybe only make the alternative .inc file apply to the main menu and not the button bar - a missing icon in the menu is not critical, the text is still there.
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If the filename is wcmicon2.dll (as this one: https://plugins.ghisler.com/addons/wcmicon2.zip) then the description is not shown in the "Icon library" dialog.
Fixed in TC9b6 :-)

Still looking forward to support for accompanying .inc files...
License #524 (1994)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Bump:

Support for .inc files to accompany matching .dll files is still highly requested.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry but this would not work. Thr .inc file is only used when you create a button and choose a command from the command list. Then TC looks for a matching icon, and sets this icon for the button (e.g. wcmicons.dll, 7). If I allow icon libraries with different order, this wouldn't change the button configuration. Therefore switching icon libraries would completely break the button bar.

If you want to offer an icon library with a different order, do it, but don't use this mechanism. You can add extra icons at the end, but the user will have to pick them manually, and they will result in empty buttons when the user switches icon libraries.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I don't really want to reorder the icons, but I want to be able use the icons that are already in the libraries for user-defined commands (em_commands) in the menu - they can be added by using index numbers from 10001 and forward - remember.

Also I want to be able to use some of the icons in the already existing libraries for internal commands that currently don't have an icon (like 333=52 or 517=47).

It is not the right side of the equation mark that I want to change - it is the left, meaning that I only want to add commands to the .inc file.

Instructions on the format of the iconlib (including the Fileinfo requirement) should be made public. If support for inc files were made possible, advice about not using the inc file to change the order of the icons in the .dll file could be in those instructions.

With support for .inc files it would also be possible to add icons to the end of the .dll file and have them used - only problem would be if you yourself add icons in the future - then the author of the .dll/.inc file-set has to provide updated files.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can use them, but you cannot use the mechanism used for default libraries for the above reasons. Just choose an icon manually.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can use them, but you cannot use the mechanism used for default libraries for the above reasons. Just choose an icon manually.
I cannot choose an icon manually in the menu, that has to be done via the .inc file.
License #524 (1994)
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

BTW there is a reversed issue: when some third-party DLL named WCMICON2.dll exists in TC dir (I've had custom library with icons with such name for years), TC shows it in selection dialog regardless of its resources. E.g. try to copy CABRK.DLL as WCMICON2.dll and open selection dialog...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes it does. But the installer should overwrite the dll...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Installer overwrites if it is used:) in my case I unpack it manually. Or one may replace DLL after installing TC...

It is just a point, you can leave it as is of course, it doesn't cause any real problems, just extra items in list of icon libraries.