Sync tool: compare any directores, including by contents

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Sync tool: compare any directores, including by contents

Post by *MVV »

It is quite annoying that one can't sync folders on devices (e.g. MTP ones) or some archive folders with their copies on HDD.

Since TC is able to show directory listing, it should be able to compare these listings too.

Also TC should allow comparing by contents during sync, if user wants it. I understand that it may be slow but sometimes slow is better than nothing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I couldn't find a way to read from files on MTP without downloading it to TEMP first, via the awful copy+paste method. I tried to get a IStream or IStorage interface for these files, but this doesn't work.

It's also not possible to compare correctly by name unless the user agrees to show the extensions for known file types. But this is a system-wide switch.

I could add sync for virtual folders, but only with the above restrictions (user has enabled extensions, no compare by content).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think even any Sync with virtual folders, even with mentioned restrictions (you could display some warning for the first time and some warning icon in Sync window with note about limitations), would be much better than none. Comparing names, sizes and dates would allow at least to discover which files are missing on every side. Comparing by contents would also help, even if it is slow, in case of toooo stupid and slow interface like MTP where manual operations are deadly slow...

It would also nice to auto-copy files to temp dir on F3...