Updated version of the LZX packer plugin available

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

mofi

Updated version of the LZX packer plugin available

Post by *mofi »

For a German version of this post see below!

Hello to all TC and AMIGA fans!

Do you still have LZX archives from AMIGA and do you want to unpack the files of the archives on Windows or just view the content of an archived file?

Yes, then Total Commander with the updated LZX plugin v2.0 is the best choice to do that.

The LZX plugin v2.0 is available on the page Total Commander plugins. (Source is also available there.)

The plugin has following features:
  • Support for viewing the LZX archive content.
    Open archive file with extension .lzx with Enter or Return, Ctrl+PgDn or with a double mouse click.
  • Extract selected files from a LZX archive or unpack all files with path with Alt+F9.
  • Test the integrity of LZX archives with Alt+Shift+F9.
    See question 1 in the LZX FAQ at The LZX Page for a possible reason for a damaged archive.
  • Support for a text search in files in LZX archives with Alt+F7 and options "Search archives" and "Find text" enabled.
  • File attribute handling can be customized.
  • File date handling can be customized and workarounds for the Y2K bug of LZX.
  • Set automatically the archive file time to the newest file time inside the archive.
  • Save file notes (comments) to descript.ion while unpacking files.
The LZX plugin v2.0 is currently the only Unlzx tool on any platform which can unpack empty directories and files in a LZX archive without any error message.

It is currently also the first Unlzx tool which can handle LZX archives with files with a file date since 01.01.2000 correct.

This plugin is also the first packer plugin for Total Commander that can save stored file comments (filenotes on AMIGA) into descript.ion.

And it is maybe the first (un)packer tool which can set the file time of the archive file to the file time of the newest file inside the archive without any workaround or repacking the archive.

The plugin ZIP archive contains all the detailed information in 3 HTML files (optimized also for the Lister of Total Commander).

If you have any suggestions for improvements or if you find a bug, please tell it me here in the forum or sent me an email. Please inform me also about typos or wrong statements in my docus or here in this post. Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hallo an alle TC und AMIGA Fans!

Haben sie immer noch LZX-Archive vom AMIGA und wollen sie die Dateien der Archive unter Windows entpacken oder nur den Inhalt einer archivierten Datei sehen?

Ja, dann ist Total Commander mit dem aktualisierten LZX-Plugin V2.0 die beste Wahl, um dies zu tun.

Das LZX-Plugin V2.0 ist verfügbar auf der Seite Total Commander Plugins. (Quellcode ist dort auch verfügbar.)

Das Plugin hat folgende Funktionen:
  • Unterstützung zum Betrachten des LZX-Archivinhaltes.
    Öffne Archivdatei mit Erweiterung .lzx mit Enter oder Return, Strg+BildAb oder mit einem doppelten Mausklick.
  • Extrahiert ausgewählte Dateien von einem LZX-Archiv oder entpackt alle Dateien mit Pfad mit Alt+F9.
  • Testen der Integrität von LZX-Archiven mit Alt+Umsch+F9.
    Siehe Frage 1 in der LZX FAQ auf The LZX Page für eine mögliche Ursache für ein beschädigtes Archiv.
  • Unterstützung für eine Textsuche in Dateien in LZX-Archiven mit Alt+F7 und Optionen "Archive durchsuchen" und "Text suchen" aktiviert.
  • Handhabung der Dateiattribute kann konfiguriert werden.
  • Handhabung des Dateidatums kann konfiguriert werden und Umgehungslösungen für den Y2K-Bug (Jahr 2000 Programmfehler) von LZX.
  • Setze automatisch die Archivdateizeit auf die neueste Dateizeit innerhalb des Archivs.
  • Speichere Dateinotizen (Kommentare) nach descript.ion während dem Entpacken von Dateien.
Das LZX-Plugin V2.0 ist derzeit das einzige Unlzx-Programm auf irgendeiner Plattform, welches leere Verzeichnisse und Dateien in einem LZX-Archiv ohne irgendeine Fehlermeldung entpacken kann.

Es ist derzeit auch das erste Unlxz-Programm, welches LZX-Archive mit Dateien mit einem Dateidatum ab 01.01.2000 richtig handhaben kann.

Dieses Plugin ist auch das erste Packer-Plugin für Total Commander, dass gespeicherte Dateikommentare (Filenotes auf dem AMIGA) in descript.ion speichern kann.

Und möglicherweise ist es auch das erste (Ent)Packprogramm, welches die Dateizeit der Archivdatei auf die Dateizeit der neuesten Datei im Archiv ohne irgendwelcher Umgehungslösungen oder erneutem Packen des Archivs setzen kann.

Das ZIP-Archiv des Plugins enthält alle detaillierten Informationen in 3 HTML-Dateien (optimiert auch für den Lister von Total Commander).

Falls sie irgendwelche Vorschläge für Verbesserungen haben oder falls sie einen Programmfehler finden, teilen sie mir dies bitte hier im Forum mit oder senden sie mir eine E-Mail. Bitte informieren sie mich auch über Tippfehler oder falsche Angaben in meinen Dokumentationen oder hier in diesem Beitrag. Danke!
Regards from Austria!
mofi

Updated version 2.1 of the UnLZX packer plugin available

Post by *mofi »

UnLZX v2.1 is available on the page Total Commander plugins (LZX) as well as on www.totalcmd.net - UnLZX (with source).

This is just a small improved version with following changes:
  • Fix for not working update of file comment in descript.ion on Windows 2000 and later Windows versions.
  • Fixes for small memory allocation and release problems.
  • Security fix for a bug in GetModuleFileName on Windows 2K/XP.
  • Enhanced update of file comment for a double quoted file name in descript.ion.
  • Last access time of archive file not set to creation and last modification time any more on setting file time of archive file to time of newest file inside the archive.
More detailed information about the bug fixes and small enhancements can be found in unlzx_readme.htm in the ZIP file.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UnLZX v2.1 ist verfügbar auf der Seite Total Commander Plugins (LZX) wie auch auf www.totalcmd.net - UnLZX (mit Quellcode).

Dies ist nur eine leicht verbesserte Version mit folgenden Änderungen:
  • Fehlerbehebung für eine nicht funktionierende Aktualisierung eines Dateikommentars in descript.ion unter Windows 2000 und höheren Windows Versionen.
  • Fehlerbehebungen für kleine Speicherzuweisungs- und Speicherfreigabeprobleme.
  • Sicherheitslösung für einen Programmfehler in GetModuleFileName unter Windows 2K/XP.
  • Erweiterte Aktualisierung eines Dateikommentars für Dateinamen mit doppelten Hochkommas in descript.ion.
  • Datum des letzten Zugriffs der Archivdatei wird nicht mehr auf das Erstell- und Änderungsdatum gesetzt, wenn das Datum der Archivdatei auf das Datum der neuesten Datei im Archiv gesetzt wird.
Mehr und detailliertere Informationen zu den Fehlerbehebungen und kleinen Erweiterungen findet man in unlzx_liesmich.htm in der ZIP Datei.
Regards from Austria!
haynor

Post by *haynor »

Are You planning 64bit edition?
mofi

Post by *mofi »

Well, I have plans to create a completely rewritten 64-bit version. But I'm currently busy with other projects and don't know when having time to rewrite the plugin.

I plan to remove the workaround for TC prior v7.00 in 64-bit version as not needed there, replace the ANSI functions by Unicode functions for 64-bit version and add the Unicode functions also to 32-bit version. Of course the Unicode functions were needed only for extracted files from an LZX archive to a directory containing Unicode characters in path without using 8.3 path as TC automatically passes to the plugin currently. Therefore the Unicode functions have the lowest priority in implementing.

Perhaps I simply compile the code as is for 64-bit as this should work, and release the 64-bit v2.1 of the unlzx plugin. But I have not yet tried that. The reason is that I have no x64 computer yet, but in a few days will get one.
Regards from Austria!
haynor

Post by *haynor »

Thanks for reply and interest. This is very helpfull with lzx archives from amiga computer. I'm waiting then for 64 bit version. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Do you mean 64-bit version of the Amiga OS, or of my plugin? The plugin is already in 32+64bit.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
haynor

Post by *haynor »

It says only 32bit

LZX
2012/01/06 32 bit Unpacks the popular Amiga pack format LZX. It handles file date/time (with Y2K workarounds), file attributes, filenotes (saved to descript.ion) and some more. Everything can be customized. Source available. Michael Ofner
Sebastian Erbert
mofi

Preview on 64-bit version of UnLZX v2.1

Post by *mofi »

haynor is right. Currently (2012-06-30) there is only a 32-bit version of the UnLZX plugin available. Christian, you have mixed up obviously one of your plugins with the LZX plugin.

It took longer than expected, but last Thursday I got finally at work a new computer with Windows 7 x64. Now I have access to an x64 computer where I can test also the 64-bit version of the plugin with TC x64. I have downloaded also already Visual Studio 2010 Express and the Windows SDK for compiling the plugin for x64 processors. I modified already also the source code of the plugin by adding preprocessor directives to exclude the code for the two workarounds required only for TC < v7.00.

My plan is to compile the source code of the plugin next week at work for x64, test it on the computer with the LZX archives I have and publish it by uploading the updated ZIP files to www.totalcmd.net and sending them by email also to Christian for uploading the files on his server. I don't expect problems with 64-bit version of the plugin, so that next week the 64-bit version of LZX v2.1 should be available.

The enhancements for Unicode support will come with a future version if at all. I can't promise that I will add ever Unicode support for extracting files from LZX archives into a directory with Unicode characters in path without the need of using ANSI 8.3 short directory paths.
Regards from Austria!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ah, sorry, that's indeed a different format.

There is no need for Unicode support, or did the Amiga support Unicode? Probably not.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
haynor

Post by *haynor »

I really don't know but since it's very old format and archives are created only on amiga - probably not.
mofi

64-bit version of plugin LZX available with version 2.2

Post by *mofi »

Version 2.2 of the LZX plugin is published and can be downloaded from Total Commander plugins.

The ZIP file contains also a 64-bit version as well as a slightly modified 32-bit version as some code had to be changed. And a very small bug in code with no effect on functioning of plugin or other applications or files was detected and fixed.

Version 2.2 des LZX Plugins ist veröffentlicht und kann von Total Commander Plugins heruntergeladen werden.

Die ZIP-Datei enthält auch eine 64-Bit Version sowie eine leicht modifizierte 32-Bit Version, da etwas Code geändert werden musste. Und ein sehr kleiner Fehler im Code ohne Auswirkung auf die Funktionalität des Plugins oder anderer Programme oder Dateien wurde entdeckt und behoben.
Regards from Austria!
haynor

Post by *haynor »

Thanks for update :D
Carolcausey5

Post by *Carolcausey5 »

The 64 bit version is not working for me though the 32 bit version works...
mofi

Post by *mofi »

Carolcausey5, could you please be more precise and explain what is not working with 64-bit version of the UnLZX plugin?

Which version of Total Commander do you use on which version of Windows?

Can't you open a *.lzx archive file at all using 64-bit version of TC and 64-bit version of plugin?

Then most likely the installation was not correct done for 64-bit TC.

Or does the plugin produce a crash and therefore also Total Commander crashes?

Do you have tried the 64-bit version with multiple LZX archive files or just with one?

Do you see any error message when you try to open a LZX archive?
Regards from Austria!