How to Moving two Files, while skipping others in between?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Pdeanb

How to Moving two Files, while skipping others in between?

Post by *Pdeanb »

I have Total Commander, 8.52a, and Windows 10.
I cannot understand the correct way to MOVE a set of files from the left panel to the right panel. For example, I have four files in the left panel. File 1 and File 4 I want to move to a folder in the right panel. I don't want to move file 2 and 3. If I select file 1 and then 4, they turn red, but when I drag and drop file 1, files 2 and 3 turn red. If I drag and drop these will move to the right panel.
How do I move only file 1 and 4? What do I have to do to prevent file 2 and 3 from moving?
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Pdeanb.

Mark files #1 and #4. Press function key <F6> to move them to the opposite panel. Or click on the [F6 Move] button in the function key bar at the bottom of the T.C. application window.

HTH,
Karl
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2Pdeanb
How exactly are you selecting the files and how exactly are you moving them? Mouse or keyboard? Can you provide exact steps? I think there might be the Shift key involved for selecting files, but I'm not sure until I know your steps.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Pdeanb

Post by *Pdeanb »

Thanks for the comments. I used to select the files I wanted to move by clicking each of them with the mouse, then, holding down the Shift key, drag the selected files to the other side. As long as the selected files were all contiguous, it worked. But if there were files in between the upper and lower files, they would also move, and I would have to move them back.

Could you direct me to any documentation which addresses this MOVE operation? How do I go about finding that?

Thanks for your help. The MOVE button at the bottom of the screen does the job well.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

2Pdeanb
You need to first start the drag operation and only then press the SHIFT to enable the move operation. If you do it the other way around (pressing SHIFT and then dragging a file), it will select additional files.

It is intentional. But you are not the first one surprised by this behavior, though.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Pdeanb,
When you click some file while holding Shift, files between focused and clicked one are selected, and Explorer behaves in the same way. So you should hold Shift after starting dragging umbra said, or you can also hold right mouse button instead of Shift while you're dragging (but don't release Shift or right mouse button until you release left mouse button for dropping files).