TC9 - option to encrypt file names when compressing to RAR

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

redfox

TC9 - option to encrypt file names when compressing to RAR

Post by *redfox »

I'd like to have a new checkbox "Encrypt file names" in the TC9 GUI, when creating a RAR archive with a password.
It provides a better level of security and privacy.
Last edited by redfox on 2016-11-08, 09:00 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

TC only supports packing to ZIP natively, and ZIP doesn't support name encryption. External RAR archiver is required in order to pack to RAR...
redfox

Post by *redfox »

TC can configure the external archiver (Winrar) to do the name encryption, but there is no GUI options for that in TC. I always have to start Winrar and do everything manualy.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You can always use context menu for packing to RAR with WinRAR... I pack to 7-Zip for years via context menu.
It is possible though to pass arguments to WinRAR in path to archiver field but TC will still append archiver mode after them (but maybe you can use some BAT file that will start WinRAR then with -hp switch instead of -p).
redfox

Post by *redfox »

I tried to enter the -hp switch to the Winrar path in the Archivers [RAR] section of TC, but it has syntaxt -sh[pass] and this is the problem: The paswords are different every time so I cannot 'hardcode' it in the command line.
If I enter the -hp switch without the password, Winrar pops up a window asking for the password during the compression. The pass defined in TC does not apply (as we supposed).

Well, it would be nice if Mr. Ghisler adds the option to use -hp switch instead of -p when compressing to the rar format.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, as a quick and dirty fix you can use the following WinRar.ps1 script (put it into WinRar directory):

Code: Select all

# powershell.exe -NoProfile -NonInteractive -WindowStyle Hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "WinRar.ps1"
$winRar = "$($MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition)\..\WinRar.exe";
$args = $args | % { $_ -replace '^-p', '-hp' };
$process = Start-Process $winRar $args -PassThru;
$process.WaitForExit();
You should put the following command line into WinRar path in TC for starting it (it is also in script's comment), just write full path to WinRar.ps1:

Code: Select all

powershell.exe -NoProfile -NonInteractive -WindowStyle Hidden -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File "WinRar.ps1"
redfox

Post by *redfox »

Maybe the simplest workaround is to keep the -hp switch in the Winrar path in TC settings (as written above) and NOT to enter the password into the TC before the compression, only later in the Winrar prompt window (= only once).

For creating unencrypted archives, one can use ZIP instead..
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Or just use the context menu (WinRAR shell extension) to pack the files, so everything is done by WinRAR.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Maybe the simplest workaround is to keep the -hp switch in the Winrar path in TC settings
However this will cause WinRAR to ask for password every time.