RC4 installer waits for TC to close if no instance running

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

redfox

RC4 installer waits for TC to close if no instance running

Post by *redfox »

The TC RC4 installer (and most older versions) cannot proceed with the installation, because they wait for an instance of TC to close.
The bug is, that it throws this error even if no TC instance of totalcmd.exe is currently running. Something else of a previous TC instance must remain in the system, which prevents the installer from continuing.
The only thing that helps in such situation is to logoff from Windows and relogin, or wait about 2 mins or more after TC close and run the installer again.

Win7/32
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

NOT confirmed.

My guess is that totalcmd.exe is still running hidden - try the task manager Ctrl+Shift+Esc, "Processes" tab.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
redfox

Post by *redfox »

Of course I have looked into the Processes tab.
It is a Windows issue - many files and their processes are still "in use" by the system for a certain amout of time (or until reboot) after they have been terminated. As a result, they can not be deleted/overwritten temporary.
The TC installer simply throws an error when the target file totalcmd.exe can not be overwritten by the new version, even if the process itself is not running.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The installer does wait a few seconds after a process is unloaded, which is normally enough to have the file unloaded too.

Maybe it's installed under "Program files"? Then it can only be overwritten with admin rights.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
redfox

Post by *redfox »

Yes, it is installed in Program files, but the user has full admin rights.
If I run TC and then terminate it, in most cases the TC executable remains temporary locked (undeletable), even if the process is not yet present in the task manager.

Not a big issue, I only have to avoid running TC before the upgrade and use Windows Explorer for this purpose.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Try Process Hacker or Process Explorer, or something like LockHunter to detect who is locking totalcmd.exe.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

My guess: anti-virus or anti-malware software - this includes Windows Defender and MS Security Essentials.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
redfox

Post by *redfox »

No problem with 9 RC5.