[9.0 final] Bugged "Set view modes by directory"

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

kapela86

[9.0 final] Bugged "Set view modes by directory"

Post by *kapela86 »

I'm writing about "13.03.16 Added: Set view modes by directory, type of directory, or files (32/64)"
In Configuration -> View Mode I added new view, named it "Thumbnail", changed its' settings to Thumbnail and sorting by Name (by default I use ext). Then on Auto Switch Mode I added new rule "Must match" and selected directory "D:\Dropbox\zdjecia i filmiki" which was added as D:\Dropbox\zdjecia i filmiki\*. When I entered that firectory it changed to thumbnails and when browsing through subdirectories it stayed that way which is wat is expected. BUT when I went to parent dir eg. D:\Dropbox it didn't change to default view and stayed on thumbnails, even changing to another partition wasn't enough, I had to press Ctrl+F2 to switch to my default view.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What did you enter as view for your default view? If it is 'Unchanged' this means nothing will be changed. Set it to your desired view.
kapela86

Post by *kapela86 »

That fixed it. I didn't modify <default> view and it was at "Unchanged". But still, I think it should switch to previous view, as you can have multiple tabs open with different views on every tab, and if on one tab you enter a dir that will autochange view, then if you exit that dir (eg. to parent dir) then it will switch to whatever is set in <default>.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

kapela86 wrote:That fixed it. I didn't modify <default> view and it was at "Unchanged". But still, I think it should switch to previous view, as you can have multiple tabs open with different views on every tab, and if on one tab you enter a dir that will autochange view, then if you exit that dir (eg. to parent dir) then it will switch to whatever is set in <default>.
Sorry, but TC can't remember arbitrary number of views.
The default view is the perfect solution for that.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Moderators, please move out this from bug reports as it is not a bug
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
kapela86

Post by *kapela86 »

Horst.Epp wrote:Sorry, but TC can't remember arbitrary number of views.
But it already remembers different views for different tabs (and even stores that info in ini), so it can change to whatever view was set previously on that tab instead to whatever is set in <default>.
Horst.Epp wrote:Moderators, please move out this from bug reports as it is not a bug
For me it's still a bug. It would be nice to see ghisler's opinion on this.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

kapela86 wrote:
But it already remembers different views for different tabs (and even stores that info in ini), so it can change to whatever view was set previously on that tab instead to whatever is set in <default>.
Horst.Epp wrote:Moderators, please move out this from bug reports as it is not a bug
Something which behaves exactly as described can never be a bug.
So you can make a suggestion if you don't like the current behaviour
but in no way a bug report.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

kapela86 wrote:
Something which behaves exactly as described can never be a bug.
So you can make a suggestion if you don't like the current behaviour
but in no way a bug report.
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2kapela86
The question if the previous view should be restored has been discussed during the beta intensively. In the end it was reduced to the question if the previous view mode could match the task after leaving the auto-switched view mode better than the default view mode. In my opinion this will always never be the case.
kapela86

Post by *kapela86 »

Lefteous wrote:The question if the previous view should be restored has been discussed during the beta intensively.
Thanks, I didn't knew about it. Still, one simple example, if you set a different view in Windows Explorer for one folder and then you move to parent folder, what view will it load? And yes, I know that Explorer stores custom settings for every folder in registry. I think a good way to "fix" this in TC would be to add "Previous" to dropdown selections in <default> View and for TC to remember them. That way, everyone can be happy :)
Feel free to move this to Suggestions forum.
nadav.sagi

Post by *nadav.sagi »

kapela86 wrote:...I think a good way to "fix" this in TC would be to add "Previous" to dropdown selections in <default> View and for TC to remember them. That way, everyone can be happy :) ...
+1