FTPS in 9.0: why using a 'S' in 'ftpS://' ?

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ZlydenGL

FTPS in 9.0: why using a 'S' in 'ftpS://' ?

Post by *ZlydenGL »

In 9.0 version if checkbox "SSL/TLS" in ftp connection settings window checked, server address is automatically altered to "ftps://yourserver". But IIS, as an example, don't know "s" in ftp name protocol, and same do various other FTP servers. At the end of the day Total Commander 9.0 can't be used for a lot of FTP secure servers.

I can't remember similar problem in version 8.52a.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

ftps:// is not used to resolve the name or to connect, it's just to store the connection type.

Maybe your server does not support FTPS, but instead SFTP? These two only have a similar name in common, they are completely different protocols!

FTPS: This is ftp over an SSL-encrypted connection, similar to HTTPS being HTTP over SSL.

SFTP: This is a file transfer protocol via SSH (secure shell). You need a file system plugin to use this.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
ZlydenGL

Post by *ZlydenGL »

Thank you for quick reply!

No, I'm definitelly talking about FTPS, because IIS can't do sFTP as far as I remember :)

And the problem is definitelly in ftpS as connection protocol name. If I manually delete "s" from protocol name - connection is being established w/o any problem... but it is unsecured connection, and checkbox "SSL/TLS" becomes unchecked when I manually delete "s" from protocol name in server address field.

Again, no such problem in 8.52..
ZlydenGL

Post by *ZlydenGL »

Sorry, my bet: same problem in versions 8.52 and 8.52a :( Will look down by versions.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

The "ftps://" in address is just a local hint for TC to use SSL/TLS, it's not sent anywhere. If it's there, TC takes the hostname (or numeric address) and connects to given (or default) port. AFAIK there's a simple autodetection of implicit or explicit encryption. If server does not send anything for few seconds, TC assumes implicit encryption (same kind as used e.g. by HTTPS) and does the negotiation. If server returns welcome message, TC uses AUTH TLS command.

If you have properly configured IIS FTP, TLS with TC should work just fine. It definitely does with mine. You should be more specific what exactly happens (or doesn't happen) in your case.
ZlydenGL

Post by *ZlydenGL »

Definitelly, sorry for inconvenience, the problem mentioned is not a problem of TCMD at all - I was "lucky" to catch both my main IIS FTP servers during some kind of maintenance procedures, and at the moment everything works fine with both of them.

Please close this ticket as non-relevant.