Custom Icons, *.ico, do not show

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

roaan5@online.no

Custom Icons, *.ico, do not show

Post by *roaan5@online.no »

Hi
I have some custom icons I like to use for specific file types. They are made in a simple icon tool as 32x32 pixel ico-files.
Example, for *.inp file type, I added the .inp key to the registry and a string value with full path to the ico-file for a reg-key named DefaultIcon. My icon popped up nicely in the TC file window when I entered a folder with an inp-file.

However, at TC 9 and Windows 7 this did not work. I can see the icon image in TC when I enter the folder where the iconfile is stored. But I cannot get TC to show the icon for the inp-file. Only standard "file" icon (a sheet with a bended corner) is shown. By right clik on the inp-file, the icon is shown in the properties. Also in the standard Windows Explorer, the inp-files appear with the icon in the file list.

At Windos 10 it is even worse: TC will not show the icon for the inp-file type, and it will even not show the image for the icon-file itself when I enter the folder where it is stored. Still, Windows 10 File Explorer shows the image and the icons in th wanted way.

Why does TC 9 (and other TC versions in windows 10) show the same icon as the File Explorer?

I have used a icon-cache update tool without results. (This might have been necessary for Win 10 - File Explorer, but I am not shure).

Regards Roar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

File associations and icons are a big mess on Windows - there are many ways to define associations and set file icons, and it's not clear in which order they need to be checked, and what needs to be done if one of the methods is incorrect or points to missing files.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com