[9.0 final] drive icons from explorer slow down

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SUKER

[9.0 final] drive icons from explorer slow down

Post by *SUKER »

Hello, I think it's more suggestion than bug, but anyway...
When "show drive icons from explorer" is on. First (system wide) open of drives combobox is taking about 10 seconds (tc hangs) on my system (9 elements in drives combobox), is it intended?
May be get icons in non gui thread, when tc starts? Or, in non gui thread, when drives combobox is opening (show default icons while loading)?

I like explorer icons, but need to disable it due to this hang.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

That's very unusual - normally the icons are cached by the system and load immediately. Unfortunately there is no official way to delay-draw into a combobox. You get WM_DRAWITEM messages to draw the items, that's it. There may be inofficial ways to do this, but it may not work on systems like Linux with Wine.

If you had informed me 2-3 weeks eariler I would have tried something, but not 2 days before the final release, sorry.

What you can try is to turn on the drive buttonbar. This will read all drive icons at TC start, so it would just delay the start of TC by 10 seconds.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
SUKER

Post by *SUKER »

ghisler(Author) wrote:That's very unusual - normally the icons are cached by the system and load immediately. Unfortunately there is no official way to delay-draw into a combobox. You get WM_DRAWITEM messages to draw the items, that's it. There may be inofficial ways to do this, but it may not work on systems like Linux with Wine.

If you had informed me 2-3 weeks eariler I would have tried something, but not 2 days before the final release, sorry.

What you can try is to turn on the drive buttonbar. This will read all drive icons at TC start, so it would just delay the start of TC by 10 seconds.
Got it, thank you. I have no problem with native TC icons, because of this, not reported it early :( If you want to investigate this issue, I will help with all I can.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

RC3 now preloads icons when not using the drive buttonbar, and displays the old icons when you open the drive dropdown combobox while they are not loaded yet.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
SUKER

Post by *SUKER »

ghisler(Author) wrote:RC3 now preloads icons when not using the drive buttonbar, and displays the old icons when you open the drive dropdown combobox while they are not loaded yet.
Yea, fixed in rc3 - thanks.