-Search for duplicates: Separators gone after sorting

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

-Search for duplicates: Separators gone after sorting

Post by *Lefteous »

1. Search for duplicate files
2. Feed to listbox
3. Search by size

Separators between duplicate file groups are gone.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When you change the sort order, the files will be sorted all together, so they are no longer grouped. Therefore the group separators wouldn't make any sense any more.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

What is the default sort order? It seems the previously chosen sort order is displayed but the actual list seems to be sorted ascending by size. It that right?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

The sort order is specific to the duplicate file finder and cannot be displayed. Therefore the previous sort order is shown, so it stays active when you leave the duplicate file finder.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The sort order is specific to the duplicate file finder
Can you detail this information? Is there a primary and secondary order?
I think most important is that there is a way to return to this special order (and displayed separators).
Therefore the previous sort order is shown, so it stays active when you leave the duplicate file finder.
I think it's really confusing to display what is currently not valid.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

Lefteous wrote:
The sort order is specific to the duplicate file finder
Can you detail this information? Is there a primary and secondary order?
The groups are sorted like this:
TOTALCMD.CHM wrote:The groups are sorted by the first enabled search criteria (if 'same name' is enabled: sort by name, otherwise if 'same size' or 'same contents' is enabled: sort by size, otherwise if 'same plugin fields' is enabled: sort by first plugin field).
Within the group sorting is:

Code: Select all

---------- LIST_OF_CHANGES
(29.01.14) Fixed: Search duplicate files by size and content: Make sure the results are sorted by full path name within each group (32/64)
(01.12.13) Fixed: Duplicate file finder: When searching by plugin fields only, sort each result group by file name (before: it was undefined) (32/64)
So search for same [=tc.size] is sorted differently within each group than search for same Size.

Search for same [=tc.size], within a group of duplicates sorting is by file name:

__all.txt - C:\temp\loc\
z - C:\temp\loc\
z2 - C:\temp\loc\a\
Search for same Size, within a group of duplicates sorting is by full path:

__all.txt - C:\temp\loc\
z2 - C:\temp\loc\a\
z - C:\temp\loc\
Full paths:
C:\temp\loc\__all.txt
C:\temp\loc\a\z2
C:\temp\loc\z

Notice that sorting by full path will not group files in the same folder together. For that primary sort should by by path without file name and secondary sort by file name.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2white
Thanks for all the information - very interesting.

I still don't get why it is displayed and behaves like this.

1. I want to reverse the order.
2. I want an indicator which sort order is applied.
3. There should be no way to destroy the groups.
(4. Sort order could be made user-definable.)

Maybe it could be changed to:
1. Display the correct sort order according to the currently set duplicate file finder options.
2. Clicking this column reverses the sort order
3. Other column headers appear disabled.

Better ideas are of course welcome - if they are better compared to what we have currently.
kahoonamatata

any solutions to this?

Post by *kahoonamatata »

Hello, first timer here.
I have the same issue I think.

by feeding the results from the duplicate search window to the listbox I loose the grouping separators and the files are listed as if it were a normal directory.

I know this wasn't the case before and I am clueless to what I might have done to change it, if anything.

my problem with this is not only that the duplicate results aren't easily observable since the sorting is not grouped and thus all over the place,
but that the Mark > Select Group function is now useless, because it behaves as if the duplicate search wasn't even performed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you change the sort order after searching for duplicate files, the results are sorted by the chosen order. This loses the duplicate file finder order, switching TC to normal "feed to listbox" results.
kahoonamatata

Post by *kahoonamatata »

ghisler(Author) wrote:If you change the sort order after searching for duplicate files, the results are sorted by the chosen order. This loses the duplicate file finder order, switching TC to normal "feed to listbox" results.
okay, I understand that
but I never changed the sort order,
when feeding the duplicate search results window to the listbox I automatically loose the grouping separators.

So, I can see the separators in the search results window, but the listbox is sorted by my last selected column at first sight, leaving me unable to effectively use the Mark > Select Group command

I updated to version 9.0a (64bit) and the problem persists,
I'm considering trying the 32bit version now
Running Windows 10.

It used to work fine before, I don't know what could have happened.

Update:
I was using the duplicate search for a large pool of files (all my photos), the result was a big list of duplicate files,
whilst experimenting with a much smaller pool of files, the groups are in fact transferred to the listbox as they should be.
Is it possible the size of the list is the culprit here?

Thanks!
kahoonamatata

Post by *kahoonamatata »

For anyone interested;

I think I've managed to bypass my issue by deselecting the "Search archives (all except for UC2)" checkbox in the General search tab before going to the Advanced tab for the duplicate search.

I could imagine it being an Issue for the listbox to group duplicates that are found in packed archives,
or it can't work by design for some reason I am not aware of.
either way, I'm good here

cheers