Merging Folder (on rename)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Merging Folder (on rename)

Post by *nsp »

I would like to have an option to merge the content of a folder into an existing one.

Ex I have folders Sources_Java and Sources during rename, i want to merge the content of Sources_java into Sources.

When i want to rename Sources_Java to Sources i get a warning. I can only cancel the operation or move the current folder but no option to merge is proposed.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You need to enter both folders and move the contents instead of moving the folder by itself.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You need to enter both folders and move the contents instead of moving the folder by itself.
This is what i actually do (When not using external script) but if it is a lot of operations that could be solved by a single option !
---->
/1/ Select name or open target folder.
/2/ Enter inside source folder
/3/ remove filter if some exists select all files
/4/move to target.
/5/ return to ..
/6/ delete folder

------edited-----
Another augment to provide it is that it is the standard behavior in explorer stating at windows seven.
nsp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *nsp »

Can you consider proposing the merge or move content option during rename if the target name already exist ?

This is the default behavior with Explorer and it is very convenient. Recently i have to deal with very long path and the filename in %L are tuncated and i cannot anymore use my script to move content of multiple folder into a single one.