Use (Total)7z plugin in Sync Dirs when SFX .exe

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Guillaume

Use (Total)7z plugin in Sync Dirs when SFX .exe

Post by *Guillaume »

As is described here, there has been a fix a long time ago:
02.10.13 Fixed: Open 7zip archives with other extension than .7z (e.g. .exe) with external plugin if there is one installed for 7z extension (32/64)
However, this fix doesn't seem to address the problem described in the topic when comparing a folder with a 7-Zip SFX file in Synchronize Directories:

- I'm using the Total7zip plugin v0.8.5.6 (added under [ContentPlugins] and [PackerPlugins])
- When using Ctrl+PgDwn I see that the Total7zip plugin is used: pressing Alt+Enter inside the SFX will show "Packer: 7z" instead of "Packer: 7z (dll)".
- When comparing a folder with a .7z file, file contents are compared and I can synchronize (copy) files into the .7z file.

BUT
(1) I cannot compare file contents between a folder and a 7-Zip SFX (.exe): the files show up marked red and with a question mark in between them.
(2) Trying to synchronize (copy) files into the SFX results in:
Error creating ZIP!
ZIP file contains errors or has unknown format, cannot change!
- If I rename the SFX from .exe to .7z, compare by contents and syncing into the SFX do work.

[TC 9.0RC6 x64, Windows 10.0.10586 x64]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Synchronize dirs does its own archive detection separate from main TC. Why? This is necessary because you can change the paths manually.

I will change that, but not in TC9, sorry - it's too late for that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

OK, that makes sense, thx! Since I've been running into this issue on a daily basis for so long now, I should have had a proper look at what caused it a long time ago :oops: Maybe it could've made the TC9 cut ;) Thanks for the quick response!
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Fix in 9.0a release candidate 1 confirmed! Thank you so much!
Guillaume

Post by *Guillaume »

Unfortunately I have found that this occurs in many more instances, but with a different result, namely of files not showing up at all in the Sync Dirs pane.

For the sake of the argument (not because of its usefulness, but it happens with a lot of formats opened only by Total7Zip) take *any* Inno Setup .exe file (for instance Malwarebytes). If you press Ctrl-PgDwn, some stuff is listed.

Now extract these files somewhere and try Sync Dirs between the archive and the extracted files.

Result: none of the files are represented on the .exe side.