Delete files that weren't selected

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thany

Delete files that weren't selected

Post by *Thany »

I just had an incident were I had a folder with, say, 100 files. Files 20-80 were selected and I hit Del. So to, well, delete them. It's not set to recycle them, but to delete them permanently.

The result? Files 1-20 got deleted as well.

A fine series of religious curses followed soon after.

This is probably not reproducible on demand. So a comment like "works for me" is not helpful. I'm sure it must have been some weird concoction of circumstances that caused this to happen.

But given the destructive nature of deleting files - which is especially destructive on SSD's where undelete is nearly always impossible - I would honestly expect something like this to be tested to death and back. And here's why.

Note: I nearly always select by doing shift+click or shift+down/pgdn. In the past (like in TC 7.x or something) I've seen situations where doing shift+click while file number 20 is focused, files 1-19 got magically selected as well. Perhaps something like that is happening again, but like I said, I can't reproduce it on demand, so I don't really know.

I'm currently on TC 9.0a on Windows 10.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is currently no known bug in Total Commander which would cause this. Maybe they were associated folders, e.g.
webpagename.htm
and folder
webpagename?

Windows automatically deletes the associated folder when using the Explorer method, or deleting to recycle bin.

If not, I recommend that you enabled logging so you can see what has happened afterwards.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com