How to access UNC Paths with TC?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

sekular

How to access UNC Paths with TC?

Post by *sekular »

At work I have to go to different UNC paths all time, which is why I still use explorer at work. I would like to use total commander but i never worked out a way to access UNC paths without having to map them to a network drive every time.

When I type a unc path in the command line and press it, it opens explorer, instead of opening the location in total commander.

Can this behavior be changed and is there a way to work with UNC paths that I am missing?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Prefix the path with "cd " to open a path typed in command line directly in TC. This is not limited to UNC paths since TC always opens Explorer when the "cd " is missing. If you'd like to type less, then you can add some keyboard shortcut to cm_EditPath command (see Options > Misc > Redefine hotkeys) which will focus and edit the path bar, so you can type the (UNC) path directly.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Stefan2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Stefan2 »

Alternatively,
have one folder with easy access for you (e.g.: ..\Desktop\__UNC\) ,
and collect all UNC paths as shortcuts (*.lnk) there in.

Clicking on a link will open the UNC target in that folder where "..\Desktop\__UNC\" was shown before.

?
sekular

Post by *sekular »

OK thanks, using cd before the unc path works. I will use that.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Or press Shift+F6 (=rename) while standing on updir [..], paste the path and press ENTER. You can also go there with the mouse, by clicking BEHIND the displayed directory name.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com