Memory leaks causing crash/shutdown? [9.0a 32bit]

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Beano

Memory leaks causing crash/shutdown? [9.0a 32bit]

Post by *Beano »

Since 9.0 was released, I'm often experiencing TC crashes after af few days of active use. It seems the application is running out of Windows resources since it fails to correctly update the main window after a while, and shortly after crashes completely.
I'm using the new View Mode features a lot since it's as great feature, but I suspect it may cause the leaks.

Is this a known issue? And is there a workaround?

Thanks.

/Beano

Edit: Running on Windows 8.1 Pro, 64bit
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

Did you get any messages from Windows or TC about those memory leak? Colud you post it?

For example, I once got this window when switching to TC:

Code: Select all

[Window Title]
Microsoft Windows

[Main Instruction]
На компьютере недостаточно памяти

[Content]
Чтобы освободить память для нормальной работы программ, сохраните файлы, а затем закройте или перезапустите все открытые программы.

[ОК]
It tells that PC doesn't have enough memory and user have to close or restart opened applications to free some. But I guess it is OK to get this message when a lot of apps are opened for a long time on a PC with small amount of RAM (with today's broswers requirements by "small" I mean anything less than 4 Gb).
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
Beano

Post by *Beano »

It's 100% not related to number of open programs or total Windows memory. I suspect the TC process runs out of Windows GDI resources or handles. A restart of TC solves the problem and then works again for days. TC1-8 never had this issure for me and I have used it for 20+ years :D

I'll look out for error messages but I don't always get an error message, often the main window just stops drawing itself or shuts down.

I'm consicering disabling View Modes to see if that helps. That could isolate the issue at least.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

Well, if you suspect Windows running out of specific resources, you could check them in Process Explorer or Process Hacker. Start TC, do some stuff, write down the resource value(s), and then repeat this after a few days before TC crashes.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Beano

Post by *Beano »

Yes, I will monitor it's usage over the next few days and report my findings.
Beano

Post by *Beano »

I just did a few tests...

1) Disabled Auto-switch for custom view modes, closed all tabs using custom view mode and only global colors are used. Restarted TC.

2) TC used 4.7MB memory according to Windows' job list.

3) Now I held CTRL+R for 60 seconds, causing TV to refreshing C:\ tab repeatedly.

4) Memory use only grew a little to 4.9MB.

I then tried the exact same procedure again but this time with a custom view mode selected for C:\. Same folder, open tabs and files. The memory grew to 9.9MB and doesn't drop after several minutes of inactivity.

Seemed to me something in reg. to custom view mode code is leaking so I then tried the test once again but disabled tab color for the selected custom view mode.

This caused the memory usage to drop down to 5MB.

Then I tried the same test two more times where I only turned tab color on and off - every time memory usage was aprox. 10MB with tab color on, and 5MB with tab color off.

Bottom-line: As far as I can see, non-default tab color in custom view mode causes the leak which over time could be why TC crashes here after a few days.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Which custom column fields did you use?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Beano

Post by *Beano »

None - the view only use custom colors for back color 1 and 2 and tab color.