Is there a convenient way to access and Android phone?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

avada

Is there a convenient way to access and Android phone?

Post by *avada »

Hi!

I want to manage my android phone wireless via the desktop total commander. Is there a good solution for this?

Previously I used the app FTPServer, but after updating to Android 6 it can't access the internal storage, and I found no way to change this.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

For years I used the Total Commander plug-in Android ADB (http://totalcmd.net/plugring/android_adb.html), which works fine, but it is slooow on file transfers.

Now, I use an Android App on the phone (Samba Network Fileshare) (Free), which creates a fileserver on the phone, it works THREE times faster than ADB on filetransfers and I can access it from my notebooks and desktop PCs using UNC paths (for example: \\192.168.0.101\storage\DCIM\Camera\ or \\192.168.0.101\sdcard\Download\). For privacy, you can easily enable or disable the fileserver on the phone, or better: use a password.

Both solutions requires root access on your device.

Good luck!
I Love Total Commander!
avada

Post by *avada »

sidefx88 wrote:For years I used the Total Commander plug-in Android ADB (http://totalcmd.net/plugring/android_adb.html), which works fine, but it is slooow on file transfers.

Now, I use an Android App on the phone (Samba Network Fileshare) (Free), which creates a fileserver on the phone, it works THREE times faster than ADB on filetransfers and I can access it from my notebooks and desktop PCs using UNC paths (for example: \\192.168.0.101\storage\DCIM\Camera\ or \\192.168.0.101\sdcard\Download\). For privacy, you can easily enable or disable the fileserver on the phone, or better: use a password.

Both solutions requires root access on your device.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tips. I'll have a look.

Can you link the second one? Can't find an exact match to "Samba Network Fileshare"

Also, did you use the ADB plugin over wifi? If yes what sort of ""WiFi ADB" app" (mentioned in the plugin description) did you use? There are lots of results for this.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

avada,
what sort of ""WiFi ADB" app" (mentioned in the plugin description) did you use?
ADB WiFi Widget

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

There's a lot of Samba / SMB servers for Android. I found this one the most convenient:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba

Cheers!
I Love Total Commander!
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

Yes, I used the ADB over WiFi (also, there's a lot of apps, but I prefer a widget, as Hacker mentions).

I still use ADB over WiFi but only to get screenshots of the phone directly down to my PC. For file transfers SMB is three times faster than ADB!
I Love Total Commander!
avada

Post by *avada »

Thanks guys!
sidefx88 wrote:There's a lot of Samba / SMB servers for Android. I found this one the most convenient:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.funkyfresh.samba

Cheers!
Out of curiosity, can I join the "home group" with it.
sidefx88

Post by *sidefx88 »

Yes!
I Love Total Commander!
avada

Post by *avada »

Hmmm...
I get "Enabled - Not Running".

When I press media scan, I get "Samba filesharing can not be used, pleas try to allow permissions". But when I press OK, three's nothing to enable there's only storage, which is already enabled.

(This is on Android 6)
Windows 10
avada

Post by *avada »

avada wrote:Hmmm...

When I press media scan, I get "Samba filesharing can not be used, please try to allow permissions". But when I press OK, there's nothing to enable there's only storage, which is already enabled.

(This is on Android 6)
avada

Post by *avada »

avada wrote:Hmmm...

When I press media scan, I get "Samba filesharing can not be used, pleas try to allow permissions". But when I press OK, three's nothing to enable there's only storage, which is already enabled.

(This is on Android 6)
So I managed to get this running with some help. The problem is that it also can't access the internal storage, which is my main goal.