TC Not Updating Network Drives

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Georgemas

TC Not Updating Network Drives

Post by *Georgemas »

Hello.

Once again I have this problem in that TC does not retain info on Readyshare (network) drives.

When I click on the drive network icon, the Readyshare drives are missing and I have to click on the Network (WORKGROUP) 'folder' at the top and it then takes some time for TC to read the two directories in that share.

If I then close that pane or stop TC, on restarting it has to read the directories all over again.

Any cure for this? It didn't used to happen after upgrading to 9.0a.

(Windows 7 Pro 64-bit TC 9.0a)

Regards

Geo
Regards
Cheemag.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Are you perhaps running Total Commander with higher user rights? This is seen by Windows as a separate user with its own network connections.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Georgemas

Post by *Georgemas »

>Are you perhaps running Total Commander with higher user rights? This is seen by Windows as a separate user with its own network >connections.

I am running it as Administrator - always have - now and before and on other machines in the past.

Windows Explorer doesn't exhibit this behaviour. It retains the info on network shares between iterations.
--

Regards,

Geo
Regards
Cheemag.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Windows Explorer doesn't exhibit this behaviour.
This is the main reason ... you can never start Windows Explorer as administrator (This is forced by MS due to security reasons)

Network connections are user specific!
TC = administrator
Explorer = user

Different accounts, different network connections ...

Try TC as user and you will see the same network connections as the Explorer shows up. :idea:
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

As I wrote, network drives are mapped separately for each user. Running a program "As admnistrator" is treated like a separate user. To fix it, either run Total Commander as a normal user, or do the following:
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Go to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Policies/System
3. Right click in the right panel, and create a new DWORD entry with the name
EnableLinkedConnections
4. Set the value to 1
5. Restart your computer

Unfortunately there is a bug on Windows 8 and 8.1 (don't know about 10): If a normal user creates a mapped network drive to a subfolder like \\server\share\subfolder, the elevated user will see the drive, but it points to \\server\share instead of pointing to the subfolder.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Georgemas

Post by *Georgemas »

As I wrote, network drives are mapped separately for each user. Running a program "As admnistrator" is treated like a separate user. To fix it, either run Total Commander as a normal user, or do the following:
1. Run regedit.exe
2. Go to the following key: ......
I'd rather do that registry hack. I am the only user of the machine so I am admin all the time - not recommended perhaps, but it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

It's Windows 7. Odd that it wasn't a problem when I had TC on a previous machine, also Windows 7.

I'll try it when I next boot that machine. In any case it isn't a life-threatening problem.

Thanks for your input.

Geo
Regards
Cheemag.