I would like to see the 'full path' in tabs...

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

venturax

I would like to see the 'full path' in tabs...

Post by *venturax »

Hi.

I have a question:
I love the tabs idea, but i have a question..
i often encounter the following directory structure during work..

Code: Select all

driverlib
    driver a
        src
    driver b
        src
    driver c
        src
... etc

I use TC for the different drivers, but if each tab is in the src directory all i get i 3 tabs, each displaying "src". Even i add a drive letter in the options pane, it doesn't help... i often find myself tabbing like crazy to locate the right tab window..

How to come about this?

Thanks in advance
Smith & Wesson: The real inventors of the point and click interface
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2venturax

I know that this involves using the mouse, but if you enable "Display" -> "Help texts" -> "Show filename in file list as tooltip if truncated" - then the full path of the directory is shown if you place the cursor over a tab (not the active tab though).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2venturax
Right click on needed tab and choose "Rename/Lock Tab" option and write the name of needed tab to (e.g. "diver a"). Next use "Lock, but directories changes allowed". It's walkaround but works good enought for me.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

The full path is shown as tooltip when cycling through the tabs by pressing Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab.
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

Lefteous wrote:The full path is shown as tooltip when cycling through the tabs by pressing Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab.
Unfortunately this is not good enough if most of the time you are on one single tab, and you use tabs as replacement for "Show current directory" option (TC UP requires tabs to be displayed even with just one tab in order for TC UP New to work)...

I, for one, would love to have an option to show the full path as tab name. Even with the breadcrumb feature, if at all possible!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

EvilDragon wrote:
Lefteous wrote:The full path is shown as tooltip when cycling through the tabs by pressing Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab.
Unfortunately this is not good enough if most of the time you are on one single tab, and you use tabs as replacement for "Show current directory" option (TC UP requires tabs to be displayed even with just one tab in order for TC UP New to work)...

I, for one, would love to have an option to show the full path as tab name. Even with the breadcrumb feature, if at all possible!
But no one forces you to use TC UP
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

TC UP is awesome.

I've just provided one use case where the option would be useful. There are others, as shown above.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

You need to see the current path but you hid the current path bar. Doesn't sound so meaningful, doesn't it?
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

The idea is to remove visual redundancy and gain vertical space for the actually important stuff - the content of the folder. So if the current path bar is hidden, we should be able to show full path in the tab title.

Also first post shows a great example where full path would be extremely useful, without forcing the user to use the mouse or keyboard to actually see the full path.

It's just flexible UI/UX, which is always appreciated, no matter what the program is.

Worst thing, this is probably a very easy thing to add - it's more work to shorten the path to what's currently shown on tabs, than to just show it full outright.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

EvilDragon wrote:The idea is to remove visual redundancy and gain vertical space for the actually important stuff - the content of the folder. So if the current path bar is hidden, we should be able to show full path in the tab title.

Also first post shows a great example where full path would be extremely useful, without forcing the user to use the mouse or keyboard to actually see the full path.

It's just flexible UI/UX, which is always appreciated, no matter what the program is.

Worst thing, this is probably a very easy thing to add - it's more work to shorten the path to what's currently shown on tabs, than to just show it full outright.
Even on a wide screen its useless to show full path in tabs.
With many open tabs several tab lines would be needed to display them all fully. This again would eat your vertical space.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

When uncluttering/more space is more important than displaying information in a certain context of use than it would be better to introduce a tab menu as an option.
As Horst pointed out visible tabs are not really suitable to display shortened paths or even full paths.

http://lefteous.totalcmd.net/tc/ideas/tabmenu.png
EvilDragon

Post by *EvilDragon »

When having multiple tabs, the full path can be truncated in them, just as you show in the image above, and then it could fit in less lines (or just one). 1920 px fits quite a few tabs, and let's not talk about the benefits of 2K, 4K etc.

Also, \ not being shown on tabs as a folder delimiter irks me as well...