Buttons and em commands w/ icon but w/o cmd field

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Buttons and em commands w/ icon but w/o cmd field

Post by *DrShark »

Currently it's possible to make a button with an empty icon by setting the asterisk (*) in the "Icon file:" field. However this only work if the command field isn't empty too.
If command field is empty, TC shows the button as a button separator.
Also a command field is empty and the "Parameters" filed is set to
?some-text
in our button with * as an icon, TC doesn't show the box with our "sometext".
It's possible to work all this around by setting the command field to some fake command or dummy user command and in the case with text box just to press Esc on it to avoid the execution of the command itself (even a dummy em command requires some command for cmd= field to avoid the "Function not implemented!" error). However such a command still shows an annoying empty tooltip which doesn't happen with a separator.

So the suggestions for a button without command field set:
1) if only icon as asterisk defined, show it as an empty button without tooltip;
2) if icon is defined (even as *) and the Parameters filed has ? as a first character, show the input box with the text after ? and after a click on the OK button close the box and do nothing (same action as for Esc)
The suggestions for a button with dummy em command set in the Command field (the dummy command itself doesn't have cmd parameter or it is set to nothing):
1) if the Icon field for the button itself is empty, but the dummy em command has it set to the *, show the button with empty icon instead of a button separator and of course don't show the annoying empty tooltip;
2) doesn't show the "Function not implemented!" error on execution of the button with such command, just do nothing or show the input box if the "param" parameter with ? as a first character defined for dummy em command.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

What is the purpose of a button without a command but with an icon? It sounds like an XY problem to me.
Perhaps explain your use case a little bit...
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

elgonzo wrote:What is the purpose of a button without a command but with an icon? It sounds like an XY problem to me.
Perhaps explain your use case a little bit...
I want to place some buttons with actual commands on the bar near the right side of TC window. So the dummy buttons are placed between working buttons on left and right sides of the button bar.
Also if the dummy button has the ?%<parameter letter(s)> in the parametes filed it's not so dummy anymore and may be used to check how actually some parameters work.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

DrShark wrote:I want to place some buttons with actual commands on the bar near the right side of TC window. So the dummy buttons are placed between working buttons on left and right sides of the button bar.
Ah, okay. So why not ask/suggest for toolbar buttons that can be right-aligned? It's such a simple suggestion that is easily understood by everyone. Not much explanation needed (nor crude band-aids with buttons/commands/icons..) ;-)
DrShark wrote:Also if the dummy button has the ?%<parameter letter(s)> in the parametes filed it's not so dummy anymore and may be used to check how actually some parameters work.
What? I am completely confused, I don't understand. It would entirely depend on the specific command whether some particular parameter would work or not, right? So, if no command given, how would you even test whether/how parameters work...?
Again, i still have a very strong vibe that you are hunting a XY problem...
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

elgonzo wrote:So why not ask/suggest for toolbar buttons that can be right-aligned?
And what if it should be not exaxtly a rigth side? Why not let user to use a dummy button as the alternative separator?
elgonzo wrote:It would entirely depend on the specific command whether some particular parameter would work or not, right?
It's not about a command, it's about parameter. Check out this command:

Code: Select all

[em_dummy]
cmd=cmd /c
button=*
param=?%P
Currently it doesn't work without without cmd /c. But why start an external application if I just want to see the box with the parameter content? The enire cmd parameter isn't necessary for this.
Don't forget that you can use such buttons just to show some short text messages.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

DrShark wrote:And what if it should be not exaxtly a rigth side? Why not let user to use a dummy button as the alternative separator?
Then what you want are spacers. You are still too fixated on your "Y problem". Your problem is having no spacers at your disposal. Your problem is not how to crudely misuse a button as a spacer.
DrShark wrote:It's not about a command, it's about parameter. Check out this command:

Code: Select all

[em_dummy]
cmd=cmd /c
button=*
param=?%P
Currently it doesn't work without without cmd /c. But why start an external application if I just want to see the box with the parameter content? The enire cmd parameter isn't necessary for this.
Don't forget that you can use such buttons just to show some short text messages.
I am not sure whether i understood you yet. Is it that you more or less want to learn what the various special parameter symbols do? Basically, is all you are looking for examples of how these special parameters work? Did i understand you correctly this time? ;)

Yet, I am still clueless about what what your idea with regard to showing short text messages is and how that should work/look in reality. It's quite possible i misunderstand you here, but it sounds to me you want to do all manner of non-button things with buttons (like, if all you have is a hammer then everything looks like a nail).
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

elgonzo wrote:Then what you want are spacers.
Why introduce a new "spacer" thing when the buttons already exist? And it's easy to modify the dummy button to a working one just by adding some command to the Command field.
elgonzo wrote:Basically, is all you are looking for examples of how these special parameters work? Did i understand you correctly this time? ;)
Yes. And it's not a theory example somewhere in the help, you can check how it works on your real files.
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

DrShark wrote:Why introduce a new "spacer" thing when the buttons already exist? And it's easy to modify the dummy button to a working one just by adding some command to the Command field.
Look, it's probably much more beneficial and useful for Christian to know what you want to achieve (like being able to push buttons to the right side, or create some custom space/distance between two buttons). Leave it to Christian to decide whether and how he can implement something that enables you and others to achieve what you want.
Look at your first post again. Mostly you were talking about commands, icons, and what not in various ways. You probably just confuse everybody... Compare that with explaining what you actually want to achieve. See the difference? ;)
DrShark wrote:
elgonzo wrote:Basically, is all you are looking for examples of how these special parameters work? Did i understand you correctly this time? ;)
Yes. And it's not a theory example somewhere in the help, you can check how it works on your real files.
Okay, got you.
(Personally, i don't see how entering "cmd /c" into the command field can become too much of an annoyance. But that's just my unsolicited opinion. If you feel that this makes your life easier or less annoying then it certainly is valid to suggest this as a feature.)
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

elgonzo wrote:Look, it's probably much more beneficial and useful for Christian to know what you want to achieve ... Mostly you were talking about commands, icons, and what not in various ways.
Yes, I know, some or even many of my suggestions here either don't have enough focus on "what to achieve" part or even miss it completely :)

However, if my suggsetion just briefly or even completely doesn't mention some [big] achivement after the implementation of the suggested improvement, it may be the case that the post is about some artificial limitation in TC (I don't like such limitations almost everywhere, especially if there in no serious reason to introduce them). For this topic this is also the case, because here we have an artificial reqirement of the command in the Command filed while requested improvements (empty icon for a button or showing the box with content of parameters fileld) don't need it.