Lister: Weird CTRL+F3 search direction behavior

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Lister: Weird CTRL+F3 search direction behavior

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

UPDATE: Found a short mention of CTRL+F3 behavior in the help file -- which seems that this is intentional behavior. That mention does not really help preventing this function from giving the user headache, though. As i mentioned at the beginning of my original post below, i find this unintuitive and of questionable use -- what would be the need to toggle search direction of F3 given that SHIFT+F3 is there as well? Not to mention the apparent reset effect of SHIFT+F3 and that there is no cue (visual or otherwise) of whatever search direction F3 is using... it's so confusing.... :? AutoHotKey ftw! :twisted:

I don't know if the CTRL+F3 should do something meaningful in the lister or not. However, i came across some really weird behavior when using CTRL+F3 in the lister.

Using F3 normally lets one search (and continue search) in forward direction in the lister.
SHIFT+F3 does the same in backwards direction. So far, so good...

CTRL+F3 has a very weird and unintuitive function that makes me believe this is a bug. (It kinda toggles the search direction of F3. If this is supposed to be intentional behavior, then i would strongly suggest to rethink that decision.)

1. Open a text file in the lister.

2. Press F3 or CTRL+F to open the search dialog. Enter a search term which occurs multiple times in the text file.

3. Let the first occurrence be found. Press F3 a couple more times to let the few next occurrences to be found.

4. Hold down CTRL and press F3. Note that the lister selection jumps to the previously found occurrence.

5. Release CTRL again. Press F3 a few times. Note that F3 is now searching backwards.

6. Hold down CTRL and press F3 again. Note that F3 does forward searching again.

7. Release CTRL again. Press F3 a few times. Note that F3 is now operating normally as forward search again.

8. Hold down CTRL and press F3 a couple of times while holding down CTRL. Note how the search direction changes whenever F3 is being pressed (essentially causing F3 to jump between the previous and the current found location).

Note that SHIFT+F3 seems to be completely unaffected by the CTRL+F3 shenanigans. It will always do backwards search. Furthermore, SHIFT+F3 seems to reset F3 working mode to forward search.

The behavior is the same for both 32-bit and 64-bit TC 9.0a (running on Win 7 Pro x64). Tested without any lister plug-ins installed.

Sorry if reading this is confusing. But so is CTRL+F3... ;)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

elgonzo,
seems that this is intentional behavior
Yup.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to the English forum.

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2elgonzo
See: Help -> Operation -> The Internal file lister (F3) -> Edit:
Find next: Continues a search. The current search string is stored both in Total Commander and in Lister for future searches. Key: F5, F3 or SHIFT+F7. Ctrl+F3 and Ctrl+F5 reverse the search direction. Shift+F3 and Shift+F5 always search backwards.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
gdpr deleted 6
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *gdpr deleted 6 »

petermad wrote:2elgonzo
See: Help -> Operation -> The Internal file lister (F3) -> Edit:
Find next: Continues a search. The current search string is stored both in Total Commander and in Lister for future searches. Key: F5, F3 or SHIFT+F7. Ctrl+F3 and Ctrl+F5 reverse the search direction. Shift+F3 and Shift+F5 always search backwards.
The very first sentence in my post:
UPDATE: Found a short mention of CTRL+F3 behavior in the help file [...]
:P
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

An now everyone else knows where to find it too ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar