Image from Camera: Wrong timestamp; 2 hours off

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Helge

Post by *Helge »

I have imported pictures from my Canon PowerShot SX710HS using Microsoft Photos 2017.35071.13510.0 which starts automatically when I connect the camera to the computer's USB port. Windows explorer shows timestamps correctly, but TotCmd is 2 hours wrong. See image where I show all three timestamps available in TotCmd.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj9kt9y0q5s9vmw/TotCmd_ScreenCapture.jpg?dl=0

The 2 hours could be related to the fact that I am in Denmark, i.e. one hour "before GMT", and using daylight saving resulting in two hours "before GMT".

Can I in some way make TotCmd show the correct timestamp?

Best regards, Helge.
Total Commander worshipper
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Helge,
Try playing with wincmd.ini - [Configuration]:

Code: Select all

NewTimeZoneMethod=
1 Windows 7-style timezone method (default on Windows 7)
0: Old method (default on older Windows)
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Helge

Post by *Helge »

Thank you for the advice (NewTimeZoneMethod), but it does not help.
However, I have some supplementary information:
If I copy one of the jpg-files and renames it to a txt-file, even Windows Explorer will show the wrong timestamp. That is, the correct timestamp is not a 'normal file timestamp', but a picture-specific timestamp that Windows Explorer knows how to read and show.
See this screen dump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n04v9r3sgp9ij12/TotCmd_ScreenCapture_2.jpg?dl=0
BR, Helge
Total Commander worshipper
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

That is, the correct timestamp is not a 'normal file timestamp', but a picture-specific timestamp that Windows Explorer knows how to read and show
Windows Explorer obviously reads and shows the EXIF information inside the file.

You can use a Content-plugin in TC combined with a Custom Column View to have the EXIF date shown as in Explorer.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Helge,
... or you can simply set your file date to the EXIF date using a tool like XnView or ExifTool.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Hacker wrote:Helge,
... or you can simply set your file date to the EXIF date using a tool like XnView or ExifTool.

HTH
Roman
There is no external tool required for this job.
Tc can do this as one can find in the forum.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Horst.Epp,
... if you download a plugin. ;)

Roman
aboutblank

Post by *aboutblank »

Helge wrote:Thank you for the advice (NewTimeZoneMethod), but it does not help.

Hacker wrote:Horst.Epp,
... if you download a plugin. ;)

Roman
I've run into a similar problem, that I will detail below, but I experimented with using NewTimeZoneMethod in wincmd.ini, and it does indeed help. So:
1) Helge, try adding one line to wincmd.ini:
NewTimeZoneMethod=0
but be sure to exit Total Commander, and open it again before testing. This step allowed me to solve my problem (see below for details).
2) Roman, not sure what plugin you are referring to, one that can change an image file's last modified date to its EXIF date? I do that with another app (ACDSee) in batch mode, but it did not help me with the date display problem in Total Commander (again, see below).

I started to write an email to Christian Ghisler explaining my problem before finding this thread, and another related thread at https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=39143. I will quote most of my email (which I did not send) as it explains the problem I had encountered:

Start of Problem Explanation
I just updated to version 9.12 of Total Commander for Windows, and noticed a problem that has occurred for me under previous versions of Total Commander.

When I dump my digital camera files to my hard drive (under Windows 7), I always make sure that the displayed file date for each image is identical to the EXIF date taken, and I check those images that I modify to insure that I remembered to set the last modified date to match the EXIF date. I check these dates in Total Commander and also using ACDSee, to insure that they are correct. However, I have noticed that often the date/times displayed in Total Commander differ by 1 hour from those displayed by Windows and ACDSee, and I suspected a Daylight Saving Time problem. I experimented with changing the setting under Total Commander's Settings - Operation - NTFS daylight saving correction - Ignore 1 hour time delay, but that setting made no difference in how the date is displayed in Total Commander, whether the box is checked or unchecked.

What makes a difference, however, is whether or not the box in Windows 7's Change date and time settings... - Change time zone... - Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time is checked. If that box is checked, the time I currently see (Daylight Saving NOT in effect) is 1 hour later than the time actually taken. For example, a picture taken at 1751 hours will show, in Total Commander, 1851 hours. If I uncheck that box under Windows' time settings, the time shown will be correct, 1751 hours. The time shown in ACDSee and in Windows Explorer is always shown as 1751 hours, regardless of whether the box is checked or unchecked.

However, to make matters more confusing, if, under Windows Explorer, I right-click on the file in question and choose Properties, the "Modified" date is shown as 1851 hours with the box checked, even though, under the normal Explorer 'Details' display, the file time is shown as 1751 hours! If I uncheck the box, both show 1751 hours. (The EXIF 'Date taken' shown in the Properties - Details tab never changes, 1751 hours, either way.)

Is there some way that Total Commander could be configured to display the same time that is displayed in Windows Explorer, i.e., for a picture taken at 1751 hours whose modified date is set to 1751 hours, to actually display 1751 hours?! It appears that Windows Explorer (and ACDSee) is doing that, but Total Commander is not. (I am of course checking under my current date/time, which is Daylight Saving NOT in effect; I have not tried modifying my system date to a future or past date that is under Daylight Saving Time to test the effect of various settings.)
End of Problem Explanation

Using NewTimeZoneMethod=0 in wincmd.ini solved the problem for me, under a Standard Time scenario. But I have not tested this solution under a Daylight Saving Time scenario. With the =0 setting, Total Commander displays (using the above example) 1751 hours, as does ACDSee and Windows Explorer's Details pane. Since I keep "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Saving Time" checked, I will live with Windows' display (of 1851 hours) in the Properties window, as I rarely use that display.

To be clear, the picture with the 1751 hours time stamp was taken in May 2017, which here is during Daylight Saving Time. I don't know how Windows would know whether that date/time was during Daylight Saving Time, unless by inference from GPS data compared to the date taken. (GPS data is not part of that picture's EXIF data, however.) From inspecting the EXIF data present, I see no indication of the time zone in which the picture was taken, only the date and the time that was stamped by my camera when the shot was taken.

aboutblank
December 20, 2017