Disable too long path name confirmation?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zom-B

Disable too long path name confirmation?

Post by *Zom-B »

How do I disable the warning for copying too long path names?

These path names exceed 259 characters, both on the source and destination locations, and when such files are found, it asks for confirmation with the message that some programs might not be able to open this. I don't care about this because I know my programs are able to open these files.

Now, last night I initiated a long copying job, with lots of items in the queue (totalling over 650GB, good for ~7 hours of copying) and when I woke up, I noticed that it was barely 1/4th of the way because it asked for confirmation. I already disabled all possible confirmations in the misc options, because,as you see, I need it to do these jobs without user interaction, but I can't find an option for this particular confirmation.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please search forum and TOTALCMD.chm before asking questions. :)
TOTALCMD.chm section 4.b wrote:LongNameCopy=0
During file operations, warn if target name is longer than 259 characters:
0=always
1=never
Zom-B

Post by *Zom-B »

I did search the forums and wincmd.ini and found nothing, but I didn't know there there would be ini settings which are not already in the ini file from the start, and I also didn't expect the ini settings to be explained in the chm.

But thanks.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There are a lot of INI options that are absent in INI just to reduce its size - they get default values when TC is started. I suggest to read whole 4.b section - maybe you'll find some other useful settings. :wink:
opetrik

Post by *opetrik »

Hi! and what about nowadays?
I have 500+ chararters in path and filename (Sentinel .SAFE file structure) to copy, but TOTALCMD.chm does not readable for human...
first line in SublimeText:4954 5346 0300 0000 6000 0000 0100 0000

any idea?
THX.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

This option exists only in INI.

TOTALCMD.chm uses standard Windows help file format (CHM means Compressed HTML Help), you should just press F1 in TC or double-click the file, don't try opening it with text editor because it is not a text file...
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

Zom-B wrote:I did search the forums and wincmd.ini and found nothing, but I didn't know there there would be ini settings which are not already in the ini file from the start, and I also didn't expect the ini settings to be explained in the chm.

But thanks.
Try Configuration Editor where you can find all TC's settings that you cannot set via TC's configuration dialog.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

ts4242,
I think it would be very nice to have these tools ported to e.g. VB.Net with WinForms, it shouldn't be too hard and it will work w/o VB libraries... You can compile them for e.g. Net 2.0 or 3.5 and use special .config files to allow using Net 4.0 under Win10 to run them w/o Net 3.5 installed (which is by default in Win10).
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

MVV wrote:ts4242,
I think it would be very nice to have these tools ported to e.g. VB.Net with WinForms, it shouldn't be too hard and it will work w/o VB libraries... You can compile them for e.g. Net 2.0 or 3.5 and use special .config files to allow using Net 4.0 under Win10 to run them w/o Net 3.5 installed (which is by default in Win10).
I had tried but unfortunately it was not easy!
grfam

Re: Disable too long path name confirmation?

Post by *grfam »

yes, I confirm, this is a very annoying dialog box appearing out of the sudden and stopping the copy operation while coping a huge amount of data (~8TB in my case), it's 2023 and tc 10.52 still asks for long names copy confirmation! why? what's the reason??? why is this stupid question asked at al???
and I don't really know how to disable this annoying question / option, how to set the confirmation to "yes" by default???
please help!
thank you in advance
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Disable too long path name confirmation?

Post by *petermad »

2grfam
and I don't really know how to disable this annoying question / option
In TC's menu choose "Configuration" -> "Change Settings Files Directly".
Two files are now opened in Notepad: wincmd.ini and wcx_ftp.ini.
In wincmd.ini make a new line just under [Configuration] and write: LongNameCopy=1
Save the wincmd.ini file and just close the other wcx_ftp.ini file.
Restart TC to make the change have effect.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar