TC is very laggy on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

huhiha

TC is very laggy on Android 6.0 (Marshmallow)

Post by *huhiha »

Very laggy, when I drag or click any thing. Not possible to do anything. I think it's UI problem.
However, there is a way to fix it temporarily. I can click into settings and wait for a couple of seconds, then the it would be smooth to drag. Then everything becomes normal, for the next minute before it becomes laggy again.
Is this a common problem?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, I use Android 6.0 daily on 2 devices (Samsung and Nexus 7) without any problems. It sounds like something us busy in the background?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
huhiha

Post by *huhiha »

It is not because my phone is busy. I can tell you some more info.
1. The one who introduced Total Commander to me told me to go to it's settings and enable: "root fuctions everywhere". After I did as he told me, the lag almost disappear. Almost OK.
I suppose enabling "root fuctions everywhere" is almost a must. Is that true?
2. I've seen comments on google play saying that there is lag now and then on Android 6. I think that comment is probably the same as my case.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1. No, TC doesn't use root functions on internal memory /storage/emulated/0 even when this is enabled. You shouldn't see any difference in this location and below.
2. I'm not seing any lag, so if you find out when this happens, please let me know. Maybe it's when TC is loading thumbnails of photos?
huhiha

Post by *huhiha »

I think now I know when it is laggy. When there is a pane showing the home page(after clicking on the blue house icon at the top-right), the app is laggy.
That means,
1. When both panes are not showing main page, and it is not laggy, if I goto the home page (either click on the blue house icon or go back to it), it becomes laggy right away.
2. When both panes are not showing main page, and it is not laggy, if I completely quit the app and go in again, it is still not laggy, which is OK.
3. When a pane is showing home page, and it is laggy, if I manage to go into some directory(get out of the home page), it will become normal(not laggy).
4. When a pane is showing home page, no matter it is laggy or not, if I completely quit the app and go in again, it is laggy.
5. When it is laggy, I can always goto configure, and wait until the page is smooth to drag, and quit configure, and it becomes not laggy, for some time(maybe until I drag to the other pane).

PS:
I have turned off the "Root function everywhere".
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Total Commander refreshes the main page when it gets a notification from Android that something has changed, e.g. a USB stick has been attached etc. Something must be constantly causing such messages on your device...
huhiha

Post by *huhiha »

Not using any USB thing. It is most related to the main page. I have done more testing.
I close the app on home page, and then start the app. Now it should be laggy if I drag or click. I call out the task tag view(like alt+tab on windows, I don't know the exact phrase for it), and see something unusual. Sometimes there is a new task tag(must be invoked by TC) beside. The tag is "settings" of my device, but the content is all white. If I click into it, it will close soon. Sometimes I don't see the settings tag, maybe it depends on how long I wait after I start TC.
It is very unstable in the first minute I start TC. I keep switching to the task tag view and clicking on a random tag(either the desktop, TC or settings), until it becomes normal in TC. Yes, this time I did not go into the configure page of TC. And I have found a new way to make it normal.
While constantly switching to task tag view, it is very unstable because sometimes there is only 1 tag(TC itself), sometimes there are 2( (TC and desk top) or (TC and settings) ), sometimes it quits the task tag view before I click on a window tag.
Sometimes just a few clicks will do, sometimes I have to click a lot.
I have also made some similar test that when I start TC, both panes are not main page, and then I go to main page.

To conclude, the first time into main page since TC has started up, TC will invoke settings of my device many times on the background. It must be in some dead loop. Invokes settings and closes it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, something must be causing this on your device, otherwise other users could reproduce it too...