Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I agree that sometimes modal rename dialog is more handy than inplace field that disappears on every wrong movement, so I would prefer having an option to completely disable inplace rename. I.e. the one that is opened when you select a file to rename and the '..' item and press Shift+F6.

Yes, the file may be renamed using F6, but it requires erasing target file path if panels have different directories.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Post by *Horst.Epp »

sdaughtry wrote:An amazing feature in FreeCommander XE that puzzlingly is not found in any other file manager - when F2 is pressed to rename a file or folder a popup window appears to help rename the item. Really wish TC could emulate this feature - it is executed perfectly in FreeCommander and why I have multiple file managers on my PC....
I have installed FreeCommander XE 2017 Build 761 64-bit donor.
There is nothing special with the F2 key !
It just highlights the name to allow renaming
and on a 2nd press the full name.
I don't see what should be the benefit compared to TC inplace renaming ?
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Popup window to rename a filename/folder name

Post by *Dalai »

Horst.Epp wrote:I don't see what should be the benefit compared to TC inplace renaming ?
Yes, that's the default setting, but you can change this in the options: File/folder operations > Rename/create > Use dialog window for rename. When this is enabled F2 opens a modal window instead of using in-place rename.

@sdaughtry:
Unfortunately you still didn't explain why you think TC's F6 dialog is not enough for you.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

sdaughtry,
sdaughtry wrote:IMO, what I am wanting is not 'already implemented' in TC... that is why I took the effort to create the initial post
Well, as Dalai said,
Dalai wrote:Unfortunately you still didn't explain why you think TC's F6 dialog is not enough for you.
sdaughtry wrote:several years ago I asked for a behavioral change in TC and got reamed for it on this forum. I see nothing has changed within the 'TC Elite'
If you mean the Urban Dictionary meaning of "ream" (can't find any other fitting the context) then I do not consider asking further questions to understand what you suggest to be implemented "reaming".
I checked your older post and only found these two threads - Folder Move - SKIP If Folder Exists In Destination where you have been provided an alternative solution for your request and this one - Feature Request - MultiRename Tool where your feature request has actually been implemented. In both threads users were helpful and polite to you.
So it is strange that you claim you got "reamed" in the past and you refuse to follow up on your current suggestion with details but opt for a dramatic exit instead.

MVV,
the file may be renamed using F6, but it requires erasing target file path if panels have different directories
Nope.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

the file may be renamed using F6, but it requires erasing target file path if panels have different directories

Nope.
Really? - notice that MVV writes "target file PATH" - not "target FILE"...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

If you intend to replace the full file name you can just start typing (replacing the selection, i.e. the path and file name). So, it's not always necessary to delete the target path. If you intend to use parts of the current file name - i.e. not replacing the whole selection - you may have to delete the path manually.

This may be cumbersome which may be what sdaughtry bothers - but we won't know for sure unless he replies again.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Really?
Yup.
Dalai wrote:you can just start typing
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

you can just start typing
And when you start typing everything is deleted - hence als the also the target file path is deleted (sorry for being nitpicking).

I can understand OP's request because if you have a very long path and also a long and maby complicated filename, where you just want to change or add a few characters, then it is tedious to have to first delete that whole long path even if you use Shift+Ctrl+Arrow to mark each part of the path by each Arrow-press.

But that aside, I agree that OP's reluctancy to explain what he wanted with words, but instead wanting us to download and install a whole other filemanager to see his point - and his accusations of "reaming" - are both out of order.

To be constructive about the TC issue, I would like to suggest that the current function where repetitive F6 presses change between selecting the file name or the file name+extension, is extended so the third F6-press selecting the path.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
And when you start typing everything is deleted - hence als the also the target file path is deleted (sorry for being nitpicking).
Yes, and that's exactly what we want, right? Because we are renaming the file, not moving it elsewhere. If you have file "a" and you want it to rename it to "b", you just press F6, type "b" and press Enter, regardless of source and target directories.

Roman
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Yes, but if you have file:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.txt
and want to rename it to:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch.city
it would be really nice not to have to type the whole name again! ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

petermad,
Ah, I see. I haven't considered this case. Good catch! :P

Roman
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

For those who wonder: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

More of theese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_long_place_names - I wouldn't like to have to re-type any of those names if used as a file name...
License #524 (1994)