Support for external 7zip Packer

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

misvin

Support for external 7zip Packer

Post by *misvin »

I suggest to add support for external 7zip Packer (like ARJ, LHA, RAR, UC2 and ACE archivers).

Please see:
1. "Configuration - Packer" Dialog Box (and its Help page).
2. "Pack files" Dialog Box ("Pack" and "Dialog box: Pack" Help pages).
misvin

Post by *misvin »

HolgerK wrote:Total Commander does not support packing of 7zip archives (only if you install a packer plugin).
What is a problem to add reference to external 7zip.exe like in cases of ARJ and LHA packers?
Why 7zip packer behavior should be different from other external packers?
Please note that today TC has built-in support for unpacking 7zip files.
Last edited by misvin on 2017-11-13, 00:06 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

Sorry I'd already deleted this post.

Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
misvin

Post by *misvin »

HolgerK wrote:Sorry I'd already deleted this post.

Regards
Holger
Are you agree that I will leave your note? It can be relevant for discussion with other forum members.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Why don't you want to use packer plugins for 7Z? It is much more convenient than a binding to console packer...
misvin

Post by *misvin »

MVV wrote:Why don't you want to use packer plugins for 7Z? It is much more convenient than a binding to console packer...
1. Why 7zip packer behavior should be different from other external packers: ARJ, LHA, RAR, UC2 and ACE archivers?

2. What are advantages of using TC plugins for 7z vs 7-zip 16.04 installation (or its portable version)?
MVV wrote:Keep in mind that TC is able to unpack 7Z archives itself [...] Packing to 7Z is available via shell context menu (with standalone 7-Zip), or via TC pack dialog with plugin (Alt+F5) [...]
posting.php?mode=quote&p=326015
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Well, I believe that support for console packers has been added to TC when there were no packer plugins, 4 or 5 of external packers are quite old and the last one (RAR) has closed format that prohibits third-party packer implementations.

Packer plugins provide much better integration into TC: control, progress indication, Unicode support etc. Some packer plugins simply use external packers, e.g. Total7zip just uses your standalone 7-Zip libraries.

And, you can always create a button that will pack selected files/folders using any desired external packer, and it will work almost like Alt+F5 dialog (the only difference is that Alt+F5 dialog excludes ignored and hidden files).
misvin

Post by *misvin »

MVV wrote:Packer plugins provide much better integration into TC: control, progress indication, Unicode support etc. Some packer plugins simply use external packers, e.g. Total7zip just uses your standalone 7-Zip libraries.

And, you can always create a button that will pack selected files/folders using any desired external packer, and it will work almost like Alt+F5 dialog (the only difference is that Alt+F5 dialog excludes ignored and hidden files).
But you didn't answer my question: "What are advantages of using TC plugins for 7z vs 7-zip 16.04 installation (or its portable version)?"

If a user has installed 7-Zip version, he always can use the context menu from TC (Right-Click => 7-Zip) to add files to archive, and the user doesn't need "to create a button that will pack selected files/folders".

I see advantages in using Total Commander as an archiver shell (Total Commander can work with packed files as if they were directories...) but I don't understand when you talk about "much better integration into TC: control, progress indication, Unicode support etc" in case of 7-Zip. Please explain it.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

misvin wrote:But you didn't answer my question: "What are advantages of using TC plugins for 7z vs 7-zip 16.04 installation (or its portable version)?"
Actually I did.
misvin wrote:I see advantages in using Total Commander as an archiver shell (Total Commander can work with packed files as if they were directories...) but I don't understand when you talk about "much better integration into TC: control, progress indication, Unicode support etc" in case of 7-Zip. Please explain it.
With plugin, you can pack files with same Alt+F5 dialog to 7Z just like to ZIP, set all pack options in a GUI dialog (Total7zip plugin shows the same options dialog as 7-Zip, older 7Zip plugin shows its own dialog), watch pack progress in the same TC pack progress window, send it to background (if supported by plugin) etc. Unicode is not a problem in case of external 7-Zip because it also supports it, but it is a problem in case of old external packers.
misvin wrote:If a user has installed 7-Zip version, he always can use the context menu from TC (Right-Click => 7-Zip) to add files to archive, and the user doesn't need "to create a button that will pack selected files/folders".
Well, buttonbar button (or assigned hotkey, or menu item) allows starting portable external packer.
misvin

Post by *misvin »

Total7zip plugin latest version (0.8.5.6) was updated 5 years ago, and it based on 7-zip 9.22 version.

This is another reason to add support for external 7zip Packer in "Pack files" Dialog Box.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There is no need to update plugin for every 7-Zip version, it works with newer ones too. Please read the plugin description:
The plug-in uses original 7-zip files, and you can use the latest version of 7-zip to update the plug-in.
E.g. it works fine for me with 7-Zip 16.04, I've just fixed paths to 7-Zip in Total7zip.xml and removed old 7-Zip 9.22 files from plugin directory:

Code: Select all

<path path_7z_dll="%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7z.dll" path_7zG_exe="%ProgramFiles%\7-Zip\7zG.exe" />
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

misvin wrote:Are you agree that I will leave your note? It can be relevant for discussion with other forum members.
Nothing against.

BTW: Author's opinion on this from 2013-05-06
ghisler(Author) wrote:I don't see the advantage compared to the existing plugins. But including an unpack-only dll would help the "normal" users, though, who would get a 7zip download and don't know what to do with it. Advanced users could still install one of the 7zip plugins.
Regards
Holger
Make our planet great again
NoSubstitute

Re: Support for external 7zip Packer

Post by *NoSubstitute »

I couldn't get the paths in the xml in the plugin dir to work with the current 7zip, so I put the new 7zip files inside the plugin dir.
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Support for external 7zip Packer

Post by *Usher »

2NoSubstitute
If you want to use Total7zip plugin, you should study readme.rtf file from this package. There should be also xml template there.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator