[9.12] Same INI - different buttonbar size in W7 and W10

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

[9.12] Same INI - different buttonbar size in W7 and W10

Post by *MVV »

Just copied portable TC 9.12 folder to a laptop with Windows 10 and noticed that buttonbar buttons have very small size (buttons in W10 look twice smaller). It may be reproduced with clean INI.

I've noticed that it is due to a 150% DPI setting on laptop's W10, when I set it back to 100% and relogon, all looks correct. I've tried to change DPI setting in TC configuration but it doesn't change size of buttons. So changind DPI doesn't affect buttonbar size and TC has to be reconfigured for using in W10 with 150% DPI setting (and back when returning to other Windows).

Also I've noticed that buttonbar size in W10 with 100% DPI is incorrect too: buttons are smaller than 24x24 and look ugly.

Screenshot

I think that DPI setting should affect on buttonbar size too, otherwise changing DPI setting will require to change buttonbar size separately. And size of buttons in case of 100% DPI should be the same in different Windows versions.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Icon scaling has changed in TC 9.1x: In older versions, Windows was scaling the entire window including fonts, borders etc. TC 9.1x does this by itself now. Apparently something is going wrong on your PC. Can you send me by e-mail:
1. Your wincmd.ini
2. The screen resolution and DPI settings of the affected PC

Note: When you change the DPI in Windows 10, it gets into an intermediate state where it scales not per-screen-dpi-aware programs like TC 9.0. You should log out and backk in and then set the icons to the desired size to avoid that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I've logged out-in after setting it to 150% during my tests and the problem has occured again. Ini is almost empty, I've tested with clean configuration:

Code: Select all

[Configuration]
UseIniInProgramDir=7
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

In TC 9.20 beta 1, you can now save the button bar small icon and button sizes separately for each screen DPI value (e.g. separately for 96 dpi and 144 dpi). Just set the desired sizes on each screen. Please test it!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Thank you, that's much better! Now TC tries to scale button size to a new DPI setting according to last stored button size and DPI value, so proportions between buttons and other GUI elements are kept.