[9.0b12 x64] crash when logging on to a windows server share

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Martin_W

[9.0b12 x64] crash when logging on to a windows server share

Post by *Martin_W »

First of all, thank you very much for providing and maintaining a great tool for such a long time!

Now, for the crash :(

On the TC command line, enter "cd \\servername" to attach to a windows server, in order to display the list of shares that the server provides.

If you are logged in to that server before (e. g. by typing \\servername in the Windows Explorer and then entering the credentials), all is ok and the list of shares is shown.

If you are not logged in, the crash happens just when the popup asking for the login credentials should appear.

I am using Win10pro/64 and the server is a Win2012/64 with ActiveDirectory, all with current patches.
Before I try to "cd \\servername", I start an OpenVPN connection to the network the server is in. The server can be "pinged" and the server name can be resolved.

The crash only happens on the very first access to the server in the Win10 session. Once Windows has cached the login or resolved the server's login share, everything works as expected, i. e. login prompt comes up.
You have to completely log out of your Windows session to trigger the bug.

Best regards und viele Grüße in die Schweiz

[edit]
(1) Bug also happens with 8.52a

(2) If I type \\servername in the WinExplorer and cancel the login prompt, then TC will come up with a Windows error message "connection to server ... could not be established", i. e. no crash.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Some other users have reported this problem too, but I could never reproduce it with Windows 10 anniversary.

Do you get this problem also with a fresh wincmd.ini? Just start TC like this:
totalcmd64.exe /i=c:\totalcmd\test.ini
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Martin_W

Post by *Martin_W »

Hello, Mr. Ghisler,
thank you for the fast reply.

Yes, the crash does happen with a fresh INI file, too. All setings (sort order etc.) then were on default, so I think the /i= parameter worked.

I tried several more times to re-create the bug without using the fresh ini file, but the bug does not happen all the time. Best chances for the crash to happen are after a complete PC reboot, so to me it looks like some strange timing issue (some deep network function timeout?).

Sometimes issuing "net use \\servername\IPC$ /delete" seems to help provocating the bug.

Btw., if the bug does not happen and the login prompt appears, there is a small "frozen" TC window open in the background:

Lese Verzeichnisse: 0 (ESC=Abbruch)
\\servername
[Abbrechen]

So maybe there is an uncaught exception / NULL-ptr access while reading the shares directory?

Best regards
Martin W.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem on any of my computers or virtual machines.

I need some kind of stack trace. Could you (or anyone else with this problem) use the tool Procdump to create
one for me, please:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/dd996900.aspx

1. Create new directory c:\dumps
2. Start it like this:
procdump -ma -i c:\dumps
3. Wait until the crash occurs.
4. Send me the dump from c:\dumps.
Martin_W

Post by *Martin_W »

Hello again,

I could create a dump file as you requested.
please find the D/L link in your E-Mail.

Thank you and best regards,
Martin w.

p. s.:
unfortunately, I am AFK for next week
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I didn't receive anything. Could you send it again to my gmail address, please? cghisler at gmail. Thanks!
mtomas

Post by *mtomas »

I also had this problem with 8.52a 64bit. I think it is related to the cases where TC tries to open two network locations at once. In some cases TC would just crash while trying to open second network location, in several cases I saw Win OS complaining about the fact that system tries to authenticate second time.

This is not unique to TC, I get same errors with SyncBackSE, for this reason I cannot backup/sync files network <--> network. I have to use intermediate location on my local pc where I would sync from one network share, then I would push changes from local drive to second network share.

I cannot confirm that Martin has same problem, but it looks to me very similar.
sduis

Post by *sduis »

I have this problem too.
Win 10 V1607 (OS Build 14393.222)
It happens when I type \\Servername in the box above my folder list.
Have allways done this, it allways worked great.
Now a message pops up "Total Commander has stopped working"
Debug / Close

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFF30F25DA7 (nvwgf2umx.dll) in TOTALCMD64.EXE: 0xC0000091: Floating-point overflow (parameters: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000001928).

is what I get if I open visual studio for debug.
Hope it helps solving this issue.

great tool. Norton is still proud of you ;-)

regards Sandor
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

nvwgf2umx is part of the Nvidia display driver. If you search for it on Google, the main suggestion is to install the latest display drivers, or if that doesn't help, completely uninstall the driver and reinstall it.
mtomas

Post by *mtomas »

I also use latest Win 10 64bit build (1607) and have nvidia graphic card. My is brand new install, so all drivers should be up to date. Is it something specific to this Win build?
sduis

Post by *sduis »

I updated NVidea (GT430) drivers to the latest version but no improvement.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately the stack trace I received does not contain any Total Commander code - it really crashes in the Nvidia driver...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

To those who have this problem, you can try the alternate method to connect to a share. Add the following to wincmd.ini under [Configuration]:

UseShellConnect=1
Egkool

Post by *Egkool »

I have exactly the same problem since several months now
Driving me crazy..

Reinstalled the Nvidea driver
Inserted the UseShellConnect=1 in wincmd.ini
Reinstalled TC

If I logon to the share with exlorer first then I have no problem with TC opening that share.

Since I logon to several servers every day for support it gets very annoying...

B.t.w, am an TC lover and evangelist and always trying to convince my customers to use it in stead of Explorer.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a new solution in Total Commander 9.12 you can use:
1. Set
UseShellConnect=-1

2. Restart Total Commander

3. Do not go to the list of shares. Go to a share directly, e.g. via command line, button bar or directory hotlist command:
cd \\server\share

Then TC will use its own dialogs to request user name and password and establish the connection. afterwards, going to \\server should also work.

This is a workaround to a crash happening in certain NVIDIA display drivers when the Windows connect dialog is displayed.