Why TC is dreck(ish) - and ways to improve it

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

UnMike

Why TC is dreck(ish) - and ways to improve it

Post by *UnMike »

This has been piling up for a long time...

Using monospaced font is convenient, particularly in Multi-rename tool and Synchronize directories (size and date are formatted in the same manner).

Prooflink (screenshot):
https://imgur.com/a/MrAXB

TC lets you employ such font via the Dialog Box font option in the Configuration menu - nice! However, that also affects the whole UI, including the configuration menu itself and text in the buttons everywhere, which looks just lame. Why is not it possible to separate these font settings onto file lists and UI elements themselves - that's a mystery.

After years of doing my backups with TC (Sync dirs tool), I finally and sadly switched to different software for such purposes (not advertising it here, of course) that offers obvious functions that TC's synchronization tool is somehow missing: explorer menu on right click, filters, copying / moving files directly from sync dialog, folder renaming. Ok, I understand that TC is not a specialized backup / synchronization software, but being unable to rename a folder while synchronizing, whereas renaming a file is possible - that's really incomprehensible.

And finally, TC is not offering portable installation. Ok, I'm aware of the moving to USB stick tool, and possibility of extracting the CAB file from the installer and then modifying the INI-file... But why such an oldschool software as TC lacks the capability of proper oldschool portable installation without all this tinkering - that's again a mystery.

...Don't get me wrong, I'm not just trying to bluntly criticize TC - overall, it's a good decent product. If everything was as decent as TC is, the world would have been a better place. Still, TC is lacking some obvious polishing at some obvious aspects.

P.S. Probably some of you remember that Total Commander was originally named as Windows Commander, and was renamed some time ago. But what was the real motive behind the name change? I'd take a shrewd guess that the reason was ... its abbreviation. Now it's the well-known TC, and back in the day it used to be, emmm.... WC. Nowadays people work in TC, but before that it was like 'I work in WC all the time'. Can you imagine?
Last edited by UnMike on 2017-12-08, 15:22 UTC, edited 4 times in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

People can't live without TC and don't have such problems. :)
explorer menu on right click
Wrong, feature exists for years, just hold right mouse for 0.5 sec (in right mouse selection mode), also most normal keyboards have special key for context menus. Or you mean in Sync tool?
filters
TC has a lot of filters in many different places, you should be more precise.
folder renaming
You can't rename folders with TC? Or you want to drag items from rename tool?..
being unable to rename a folder
Nonsense, TC is able to rename folders, both one by one or in multi-rename tool.
TC is not offering portable installation
Is it a real problem? Do you know many software that offers portable installations? It is quite easy to unpack installer once and use for years from USB stick... Anyway, you should post it as a single suggestion, not as a junkyard topic.
But what was the real motive behind the name change
The motivation is a Microsoft request ("Windows" is a registered trademark), you can read more here.
Last edited by MVV on 2017-12-06, 17:32 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2UnMike
And finally, TC is not offering portable installation.
There are two tools for portable installation here: http://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm

Total Commander was originally named as Windows Commander, and was renamed some time ago. But what was the real motive behind the name change?
It was a demand from Microsoft!!!
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
UnMike

Post by *UnMike »

2 MVV:
Or you mean in Sync tool?
All my words you've stupidly quoted were about the Sync dirs tool. A pity you cannot comprehend the plain English.
TC is not offering portable installation
Is it a real problem? Do you know many software that offers portable installations?
Yes, I know quite a few.
Anyway, you should post it as a single suggestion, not as a junkyard topic.
The junk stuff in fact were your comments you've drivelled out, as you've clearly displayed you've got problems with basic understanding. The topic is OK. Might have been presented in a slightly unusual fashion, but all its suggestions are quite reasonable.
Last edited by UnMike on 2017-12-06, 19:32 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

You should create a topic per single suggestion, not such a mess, and provide detailed description of what we have and what do you want to get.
UnMike

Post by *UnMike »

MVV wrote:You should create a topic per single suggestion,
I'd accept such a suggestion from a moderator, no prob. Why pile up additional topics?
provide detailed description of what we have and what do you want to get.
Which part of my initial post is not detailed and well-explained? Again, you're displaying difficulties with basic understanding. Unfortunately I can't help you, not being a doctor.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Why TC is dreck(ish) - and ways to improve it

Post by *HolgerK »

UnMike wrote:Using monospaced font is convenient, particularly in Multi-rename tool and Synchronize directories (size and date are formatted in the same manner).
Usually numbers are mono spaced,... except for some fonts like Segoe UI Semibold.
A good compromise is to change the font style to Regular and optionally increase the font size by 1.
This has been piling up for a long time...
This is obvious.

Regards
Holger

Edit: Alternative solution for Segoe UI Semibold fans in win > 8 with access to an win7 installation-> http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=274525#274525
Make our planet great again
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

petermad wrote:2UnMike
And finally, TC is not offering portable installation.
There are two tools for portable installation here: http://www.ghisler.com/usbinst.htm
Just repeating the above - you haven't adressed this information... :wink:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

UnMike wrote:I'd accept such a suggestion from a moderator, no prob. Why pile up additional topics?
UnMike wrote:Again, you're displaying difficulties with basic understanding. Unfortunately I can't help you, not being a doctor.
Well, if you don't have any wish to explain your ideas to the community, chances that they will be realized are low... Especially when you're not polite.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

The initial post in its rudeness also showed no knowledge of actual TC
so I think the best answer to such as posting is to just ignore it.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
UnMike

Post by *UnMike »

Horst.Epp wrote:The initial post in its rudeness also showed no knowledge of actual TC
Elaborate. Support your post with examples of my lack of TC knowledge. (Been using TC for more than 10 years - just for the record.) It would be ok, too, if you pinpoint the actual rudeness in my initial post, like insulting anyone, etc. Is there any real rudeness?

The funny thing is, the post attracted a couple of weak-minded beings who drivel out their unfouned comments.

Now switch your brain on and display which part of my initial post is not true (apart from the PS, which was actually meant to be a joke).
so I think the best answer to such as posting is to just ignore it.
And probably that's the only thought you can ever produce :-(
UnMike

Re: Why TC is dreck(ish) - and ways to improve it

Post by *UnMike »

HolgerK wrote: Usually numbers are mono spaced,... except for some fonts like Segoe UI Semibold.
A good compromise is to change the font style to Regular and optionally increase the font size by 1.

Edit: Alternative solution for Segoe UI Semibold fans in win > 8 with access to an win7 installation
Thank you very much.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

UnMike,
I'd accept such a suggestion from a moderator, no prob.
I do not understand what difference does it make who offers this suggestion. It does not change the value or the meaning of the suggestion. The suggestion is still the same.
Nevertheless, you are free to create threads in any way you wish. Fact is, though, the more unrelated topics one puts into a thread the more difficult it gets to get an overview of each issue and its related discussion when the topic reaches, say, three pages. Therefore such threads are often ignored by other forum members since they know how these usually end up.
Anyways, here is a related thread: Please post only one bug report per thread!
Also, I would like to ask you to be more polite to other forum members, even if they may have misunderstood your original post, insults are not really the way to win any apprecation among decent human beings.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
UnMike

Post by *UnMike »

Hacker wrote:UnMike,
Fact is, though, the more unrelated topics one puts into a thread the more difficult it gets to get an overview of each issue and its related discussion when the topic reaches, say, three pages.
Thanks, took a notice.
Also, I would like to ask you to be more polite to other forum members, even if they may have misunderstood your original post, insults are not really the way to win any apprecation among decent human beings.
Yes, but the thing is, they've started insulting me in the first place ('junkyard topic, no knowledge of actual TC, etc). I haven't insulted anyone with my 1st post, I haven't insulted the TC product either. In fact I wrote it's a good decent product.

So far only 2 replies were good, related to the original suggestions, and probably your one, too. And the rest was... Have they posted as 'decent human beings'? :shock: Can this 'decent human beings' thing be applied to them?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

UnMike,
but [...] they've started
Please don't.

Hacker (Moderator)
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.