Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Rex

Net shares, not showing when tcm runs as admin win10

Post by *Rex »

Hi
I just installed windows 10.
And stumbled over this odd behavior.

Image: https://i.imgur.com/0QidqkQ.png

At startup i have a script that maps some network drives and creates some subst drives

When I start tcm as user, I can see all the drivers, but if I start tcm in admin mode, only my std drives is there.

In explorer i can see the drives regardless of explorer running in user mode or in admin mode.

If I run the script once again, thru tcm in admin mode the drives appears as the should.

I didn't have this problem in win7.

Any suggestion on how I get tcm to display all my drives, in both admin mode and in user mode, without the need to re run the script

Regards
/Rex
Personal License #58082
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Thats no problem and default Windows behaviour.
Admins don't see user drive mappings
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Net shares, not showing when tcm runs as admin win10

Post by *Dalai »

For the reason why this happens, see e.g. my post here.
Rex wrote:In explorer i can see the drives regardless of explorer running in user mode or in admin mode.
It's not possible to start Explorer as administrator, unless you modify your system, and heavily reduce its security along with it.
I doubt that, unless you had UAC disabled or the registry was modified (EnableLinkedConnections). Network drives have always been user-specific, or bound to a user token (at least since Win2k, probably even NT4). Since the existence of UAC (i.e. since Vista), which creates two tokens for each user, this also applies to the "running as administrator" thing. Win10 is no different in this regard than Win7.
Any suggestion on how I get tcm to display all my drives, in both admin mode and in user mode, without the need to re run the script
Just use your script to map network drives.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
Rex

Re: Net shares, not showing when tcm runs as admin win10

Post by *Rex »

Dalai wrote:For the reason why this happens, see e.g. my post here.
Rex wrote:In explorer i can see the drives regardless of explorer running in user mode or in admin mode.
It's not possible to start Explorer as administrator, unless you modify your system, and heavily reduce its security along with it.
I doubt that, unless you had UAC disabled or the registry was modified (EnableLinkedConnections). Network drives have always been user-specific, or bound to a user token (at least since Win2k, probably even NT4). Since the existence of UAC (i.e. since Vista), which creates two tokens for each user, this also applies to the "running as administrator" thing. Win10 is no different in this regard than Win7.
Just use your script to map network drives.

Regards
Dalai
Hmm thought that when hitting run as admin on explore did run it as admin :oops:

Yeah, uac is off, both in my prev win7 and in the newly installed win 10
But is seems that the "you may not do this" is tighter in win 10 than it was in 7.

I will rerun my script in admin mode, when I need to then :)

Thx for the fast reply's

Regards
/Rex
Personal License #58082